Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could use some advice --- please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 10:34 AM
I SPY
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could use some advice --- please.

I have been reading some of the great info on this board for sometime now, and I was finally able to get a 08 FLHT. Because of the heat issues discussed on this board, I was seriously considering eliminating the rear cross-over with some true duals. However, I really do not want to make the bike any louder[/b], so I thought that maybe I could just use the stock mufflers. I was also thinking about a K&N air filter. I also have some of RJ’s heat deflectors on order.

When I discussed this with the service manager he advised me that I would have to get a download because of the headers and the K&N. OK...I can understand that. When I asked him about using the stock mufflers he indicated that it was kind of strange because I was putting on some performance parts, but then not really “finishing” the job by sticking with the stock mufflers. I asked him if there were any aftermarket mufflers that would keep the exhaust as quiet as stock, and he said “not really.”

I am also pleased with the current gas mileage. When we discussed the download he said that basically they would be making the mixture richer. I can understand that, too…but that has got to reduce the mpg. I guess I should also state that I’m ok with the current performance, and I’m not really looking to make it any faster.

So, am I trying to do the impossible? I want to eliminate the heat, but I don’t want to make the bike any louder, and I’d rather like to keep the gas mileage up. [/b]

Would it be “stupid” to keep the stock mufflers on? Do you guys know if there are any after-market mufflers that are as quiet as stock that might better match the duals?

If I did NOT put on the K&N…thus keeping air intake lower…do you think that when a download was done that the air/fuel mixture might not reduce the mpg as much?

I’ve done some searches and have read some really good comments on various related issues, but I don’t seem to be able to pull it all together so I can make an informed decision. I really appreciate and sage advice on my dilemma. Thanks.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Pete7539
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Could use some advice --- please.

Take a look at this http://www.nightrider.com/parts/hd20...age_divide.htm I'd give it a try first and if it cools things down enough you may not want to go w/true duals. I have them and they work. I also have RJ's, so if all you want to do is cool things down I'd go with these. The only mufflers I know of that aren't much louder, but flow better than stock are the newer style HD screamin' eagles.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Oldman Harley
Road Captain

ISpy, read this thread and it will tell you everthing you need to know. https://www.hdforums.com/m_2836828/tm.htm I have a 08 Ultra Classic and did not like the heat. I installed the nightrider IED'S and it has lowered the cyclinder temp about 30degress, well worth the $70 IMO and it improved throttle response as well. The bike is stock other than this little mod.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:50 AM
rsofa
Road Captain

In regards to the above link also check out this 15 page forum...https://www.hdforums.com/m_2836828/tm.htm

Old 03-29-2008, 10:52 AM
rsofa
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Oldman Harley

ISpy, read this thread and it will tell you everthing you need to know. https://www.hdforums.com/m_2836828/tm.htm I have a 08 Ultra Classic and did not like the heat. I installed the nightrider IED'S and it has lowered the cyclinder temp about 30degress, well worth the $70 IMO and it improved throttle response as well. The bike is stock other than this little mod.
Damn I need more coffee I'm getting slow on the finger!

Old 03-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Oldman Harley
Road Captain

RSofa, that sure is a nice looking bike, where have I seen it before.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:57 AM
rsofa
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Oldman Harley

RSofa, that sure is a nice looking bike, where have I seen it before.
I think it's in your garage!!! Please fill the tank BEFORE you bring it home!

Old 03-29-2008, 11:09 AM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

i think i would start with a tuner to get rid of some heat true duels wont help much and they will hurt the torque curve heat comes from the lean tuning.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:14 AM
MustBBrent
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you are bent on the Stage 1, you could add the Screaming Eagles. i don't think they are much louder than stock. They certainly are not on the order of Rinharts etc... Just athought.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:19 AM
jack49
Road Captain

You'll give up some low and mid range power with true duals on a stock motor.
If you like the stock mufflers,than leave the exhaust alone.
Do a high flow air kit and a good fuel management system,this will increase your
bikes performance a little bit and probaly cool it off enough that you won't need
to go to true dual pipes or heat deflectors. Stay away from the dealers' quick
fix download and go to a good independant shop and have them dial in your bike
with a good fuel management sys.Fuel milage won't change much.
That's how I solved my heat problems. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Could use some advice --- please.