Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike kills when slowing down

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Lrider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike kills when slowing down

2007 FLHTC 4500 Miles. Since around 1000 miles when I let off thegas to slow down to stop or turn, the engine will idle real low or sometimes ever die out. Then sometimes it will idle up to 1500 rpm. This don't happen all the time but has increased lately. A couple times I almost got hit at intersections when it died and I'm trying to restart in the middle of traffic. Harley shop checked it out and said they can't find nothing wrong since no codes showed up. Has any one else had this problem or heard of it. What is the next step I can take to try and get this fixed. They guy in sevice said until something breaks its hard to find out what it is. I don't want to get get killed waiting for someting to break first. Engineis still stock so its not something I did or adjust. Other than that I love the bike.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:17 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Bike kills when slowing down

I am assuming its fuel injected....no?

Old 03-28-2008, 12:09 AM
Olde Skool
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 07 ultra with 17500 miles. Mine does this on occasion too. It rarely speeds up but will low idle (800 and below) and sometimes die also. Last oil change they checked it out and said no problem (codes)found. Going to a different dealer bright and early for another oil change and both tires. It is scary at best to wonder if, "Will it do it this time?" Most times it just drops a 150 or so RPM’s and will recover in 15 seconds or so...I have developed a bad habit of not letting the throttle return to the idle stop when in traffic until I am sure it won't do it again...Even went the long way and removed the Fuel Pak and air filter to see if'n that is the problem...Nope! Still have the problem...Hopefully the sister dealer will find the cause. I am going to request they ride it on an extended stop and go test drive. Wish us luck!

Old 03-28-2008, 07:18 AM
Lrider
Intermediate

Sounds like your bike is doing just about what mine is doing. I am due for an oil change so I am going to ask dealer to check with Harley network and see if they have found some type of problem. If you don't push them they don't act sometimes. I think the problem is the local mech.'s don't know that much about the new fuel injection yet. If it would be a carb. it would be a piece of cake to fix.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:31 AM
Dennis Murawski
Cruiser

My 2007 FLHT did this at about the same mileage. It turned out to be a failed oxygen sensor in the rear exhaust pipe. Do a diagnostic check. If you search the HDForum, you'll find how to do it and if you get a code what it means.