Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006 | 05:40 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: question about cleaning

I pre-soak the bike with S-100 foam, wait just a few minutes, rinse with water, immediately apply Eagle 1 spray on wax, and then towel that off with cotton detailing towels that I got from an auto parts store. I started using the Eagle 1 after I read a good review about it in American Iron magazine.

Old 02-08-2006 | 05:57 PM
mojo workin
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Mountainkowboy

I use the S-100 foam, I have tried the liquid but I like the foam better (same as Hondapro). You can see it lift the dirt from the paint. IMO, I would never take a cloth or mitt to my bike while washing, its to easy to scratch the finish. Then I wash the foam off with a lite spray and use a cycle dryer to remove the water. Then I use the clay and lubricant to clean the paint till its baby butt smooth, and use S-100 carnuba wax on everything but the cases. It does not leave a residue on any surface and makes getting the bugs off easier. To remove the wax I use a baby diaper and finish with a micro fiber cloth. In between major washings, I just foam, dry and use Harley Gloss or a wet detailer spray that I get from my friend called "the juice". This works for me but is JMHO, My 1.5 year old BLACK EG that I sold had no swirl marks in the paint-anywhere, and looked like the day I picked it up from the dealer.
MountainKowboy,
What do you mean by "use the clay and lubricants to clean"?

Dan

Old 02-08-2006 | 06:45 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior

Claybar and solution is like wet sanding the bike all the time. It gets any impurities off the paint. Have to becareful using one and all the time.

Old 02-08-2006 | 09:52 PM
Otisroundtree
Tourer

ORIGINAL: joe

soft sheepskin mitt a deep bucket and dont let thae mit fall to the bottom and pick up the dirt.blow off with compressed air or bike dry not a leaf blower.and welcome to the forum
No probs with my leaf blower yet. Any reason why not to use?

Old 02-08-2006 | 09:54 PM
Otisroundtree
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Neckball

story has it that a leaf blower will emitt gas and oil when used,
Electric leaf blowers?
Exactly!

Old 02-09-2006 | 12:29 AM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member

quote:

I use the S-100 foam, I have tried the liquid but I like the foam better (same as Hondapro). You can see it lift the dirt from the paint. IMO, I would never take a cloth or mitt to my bike while washing, its to easy to scratch the finish. Then I wash the foam off with a lite spray and use a cycle dryer to remove the water. Then I use the clay and lubricant to clean the paint till its baby butt smooth, and use S-100 carnuba wax on everything but the cases. It does not leave a residue on any surface and makes getting the bugs off easier. To remove the wax I use a baby diaper and finish with a micro fiber cloth. In between major washings, I just foam, dry and use Harley Gloss or a wet detailer spray that I get from my friend called "the juice". This works for me but is JMHO, My 1.5 year old BLACK EG that I sold had no swirl marks in the paint-anywhere, and looked like the day I picked it up from the dealer.

MountainKowboy,

Dan
I use the clay and lube about twice a year to keep the paint clean.

Old 02-09-2006 | 09:35 AM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member

I use my hurricane force, gas powered supercharged ,375hp leaf blower. I purchased from Tim the toolman Taylors wife after the show was cancelled. Does hella good job!!!

Old 02-09-2006 | 01:28 PM
3Dog
Tourer

Metro is a GREAT company but there are differences in all their models..the unit you described looks to be the 1 3/4 HP unit. The motor and filtering will determine the price.
These are my specs: To max out our Black Baron, we had the good folks at Metro Vac put a heavy duty, dual ball bearing motor in it with 4.0 peak horsepower and a twin fan drive that delivers 29,000 fpm air delivery. We give the Black Barron a two year parts and labor warranty. (Twice as long as the standard Air Force Blaster)
By the way your orange unit..I have had for over twenty five years and still works like its brand new.
I also brought one of those "dog house" ones for my labs on ebay for 15.00.

Old 02-09-2006 | 01:37 PM
3Dog
Tourer

Clay is used to remove contaminates from the surface of the paint. ie...those things falling from the sky. Always a good idea to remove contaminates before polishing so as not to "rub" them into the paint. There are various grades of clay bars. Normal OTC clay is a medium grade and usually sold with a lube but you can lube with a QD or even you soap water.. We use a clay at the shop that is such a fine grade that we can clay with out removing sealants. OTC clays will remove your wax or sealant.
ORIGINAL: mojo workin

MountainKowboy,

Dan