Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Brake Noises?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 06:22 PM
YankeeBob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Front Brake Noises?

Change your pads to Lyndall Z pads. Thats what I and many others have done. Works like a charm..noise gone.

Old 02-12-2006, 01:16 AM
luvmyflhtcui
Road Captain

Stock pads and rotors suck. The only way to cure the noises is to replace them with floating rotors and new non-mettalic pads. Spend the money and you won't be dissappointed.

Good luck!

Old 02-12-2006, 03:45 AM
AZRoadKing
6th Gear

Wow. This post generated some good replies. I will try the pad reversal to see if that works since it is a quick and easy task. I will try not to hijack my own thread, but there's another question that I have for you guys too. [8D]Keep in mind that the pads and fluid are in good shape and to proper specs...Is there a way to adjust the front brake response? As a motocross racer, I am very used to the 1 or 2 finger braking method, but on my RK, this doesnt work. The brakes dont seem to grab nicely until I really get that lever pulled in, which requires basically using all 4 fingers (common for many bikers). I want to somehow adjust that though so I can get more braking control with less pull of the lever...allowing me to use my preferred "1 or 2 finger pull". Hopefully some of yall know what Im talking about. Let me know.

Old 02-12-2006, 01:36 PM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, I'm with ya on that one. Many of my previous bikes you could stand on their noses with a 2 finger pull. My Harleys have always been a 'grab a handful' affair. Switching to braided lines improved the feel quite a bit-a lot more consistant, but it still has a long way to go. I've ridden some customs that have had some really beautiful aftermarket calipers, but they were only marginally better than stock Harley and certainly not worth the expense IMO. But, then again, many are sold more for looks than function. Buell knows how to make one stop-how about passing that on to the MOCO. I've seen lots of positive feedback on the Lyndall Z pads as well.

Old 03-15-2006, 02:10 PM
udnudn
Cruiser

dealer removed pads and scuffed em up - - no squeal for about 20 miles --- sounds like a stuck hog again now.

Old 03-15-2006, 03:07 PM
Isshinryu
Tourer

ORIGINAL: luvmyflhtcui

Stock pads and rotors suck. The only way to cure the noises is to replace them with floating rotors and new non-mettalic pads. Spend the money and you won't be dissappointed.

Good luck!

I have to agree with you. The only real fix is to go with floating rotors if you have the cast wheels. By the way I have a pair of stock rotors I would like to sell.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6262/9B218582C01648F1B9A9C0348040E8CB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-15-2006, 06:01 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

Can someone explain what the floating rotors are??? And maybe the cost for them?? I now have the nasty noise when I apply the front breaks. I will have the dealer take a look at it when I take it in for the injector change. Only 400 miles on the bike.

Bob

Old 03-15-2006, 08:24 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior

Same annoying "locust" noise here with the front brake after 4000 miles.

Service lady at the stealership tells me it is "NORMAL". BS.

Thanks MOCO.

Old 03-15-2006, 08:41 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: HD Renegade

Can someone explain what the floating rotors are??? And maybe the cost for them?? I now have the nasty noise when I apply the front breaks. I will have the dealer take a look at it when I take it in for the injector change. Only 400 miles on the bike.

Bob
Here's the link for the chrome ones. http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

They come in different variations.

I have the vivid black ones as shown in my picture below. Very quiet through the initial 300 miles so far.

Don't really know the science behind how they work only that they consist of an inner ring riveted to an outer ring unlike stock which are milled from one solid piece. I had mine installed before initial delivery.

Somewhere on this site a member said that his dealer addressed the problem by slighlty grinding down the leading edge of the brake pads.

Ride safe all,

Primo

[IMG]local://upfiles/1293/5E36870FFA074AD39305F202758660FF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-15-2006, 08:48 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

Primo,

I read that too on the pad grinding. It was interesting to read on here that someone else said that the forks were out of spec too, and that, that solved the problem too. I will be bringing it up to the dealer to see what they have to say. The noise is rather embaressing for a bike that cost 20k. My metric bike never had the problem so why should my new Harley?

Bob

ORIGINAL: Primo

ORIGINAL: HD Renegade

Bob
Here's the link for the chrome ones. http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

They come in different variations.

I have the vivid black ones as shown in my picture below. Very quiet through the initial 300 miles so far.

Don't really know the science behind how they work only that they consist of an inner ring riveted to an outer ring unlike stock which are milled from one solid piece. I had mine installed before initial delivery.

Somewhere on this site a member said that his dealer addressed the problem by slighlty grinding down the leading edge of the brake pads.

Ride safe all,

Primo

[IMG]local://upfiles/1293/0DAE515440DD4B02A41D1C1706C17F5F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1293/5E36870FFA074AD39305F202758660FF.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Front Brake Noises?