Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield wrong height on Road King

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:39 PM
WolfPk
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield wrong height on Road King

I have a 2008 Road King Classic but the top of the windshield is right at my eye level. I have to either slump down a bit to look through the windshield or sit at straight as possible (like your mom nagged you to do when you were a kid) so I can look over the top. There are two options (shorter or taller) for me to choose from. I wanted to get some opinions from anyone who faced this same situation and which direction, if any, you went. I really don't want to get a super huge windshield but I wonder if the smaller one will be too short (parts book says it is 4" shorter) and not direct enough air over my head. I'm 6' 2" so maybe this is just unique to me?

Anyway, thanks for the input. This is my 4th bike but 1st Harley so I am really stoked!

Old 03-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
Default RE: Windshield wrong height on Road King

Welcome aboard, might want to introduce yourself at the New Members Area.

If youwant to look over it, a general rule of thumb is want the top of the shield about nose high. Sounds like it might be about 2 in. to tall. Have a glass co. cutit down or look for one online, if HD doesn't have one. Lots of info here if ya do a search, also.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:53 PM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 5' 11" and see over mine really well, eyes are about 4" above the top of shield.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:53 PM
DrewMan
Intermediate

I thought mine was at the wrong height too. The more I rode though, the more my back hurt from incorrect posturedue tothe handle bars. I changed to the Reduced Reach handlebars from HD. The top of the windshield is no longer an issue, neither is my back. Do a search on RKC and handlebars. Many owners change them out.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:07 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 204 Posts

check out these two websites. I am debating on which one, but I can't decide.

http://www.clearviewshields.com I'm looking at the 9.5" recurve from here

http://www.ceebaileys.com/harley/flhtssc_ws.html I'm looking at the 12" SSC from here

There was also a ton of windshield talk in the past in the touring threads as well. Just type "windshields" in the search.

Good luck

Old 03-26-2008, 09:11 PM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get some of that green masking tape and tape it good where it needs to be cut, (so the jig saw or bandsaw you have in the shop won't scratch it) take pencil and mark it where your nose would hit it straight ahead. use your pencil and start free handing an arc on it until you get it where it looks good to you and start cutting.easy as pie. if you have a belt sander or a sanding block sand it until you get it to look to suit you. I've cut off several and the results have been great.
so easy a caveman could do it.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:11 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I purchased a Clear View shield with recurvethat was shorter than the stock shield. It is the best shield I have ever used. You can easily see over it and the recurve pushes the wind blast over your head. The other benifit of the recurve is makes the shield extremely ridgedso you get rid of the annoying vibration you have with a stock shield.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Also consider if you plan to change your seat. If so, I would wait and see where the new seat puts you before making any changes. I have the same issue but I use 2 different seats. The stock seat and the HD pillow look seat. With the pillow look seat the windshield is perfect, but with the stock seat the windshield is right at my eye level. I just keep changing my views from over the windshield and through the windshield to compensate.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:26 PM
WolfPk
Stage IV

Some great suggestions. I don't have any immediate plans to switch seats so I guess I need to get the windshield right for my riding position now. I like the idea of just cutting down the one I have about 2" which is what it would take to put it at nose-level.

I don't trust myself to do the cutting. Do most glass companies offer this type of service and what would I expect to pay on average? Thanks again for your help!

Old 03-26-2008, 09:30 PM
redhwk44
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do what Stafford said. Met a guy who had done exactly that. He too said he was a little scared at first but went ahead with it. I saw it and he did a very good job. A replacement isn't all that much if you mess up anyway. Go for it.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Windshield wrong height on Road King