Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield wrong height on Road King

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:01 PM
bzxgdk
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Windshield wrong height on Road King

I have a '08 RK Classic. Added some chrome and removed the windshield... looks better that way IMO... plan on wearing FF helmet to deal with wind.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:20 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Same problem here until I had 2" taken off the top. Go to a local glass shop that handles plexiglass. They should be able to make the cuts for you there.

Good luck.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:21 PM
ezlife
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an '07 RKC and had the same problem. Save your money and cut it down yourself. I cut 2 1/4" off mine and it's perfect now. I'm 6'0".

I used a piece of kids oaktag, taped it to stock shield,traced curve, pulled paper off, cut out curve, lowered to desired height, taped back on, marked new curve, masking taped either side, and cut with jigsaw w/semi course blade, sanded edge, all good! If you use jigsaw, cut in one continuous cut, try not to stop, will keep arc smoother = less sanding. Some guys here have also used a dremel with cutting wheel which would probably work even better. Have some faith and go for it. Below is right after cut prior to sanding which smoothed out the side points.

Name:  IMG_0344.jpg
Views: 2996
Size:  86.2 KB

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (12-02-2016)
Old 03-26-2008, 10:24 PM
91fe
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Whiskers

Same problem here until I had 2" taken off the top. Go to a local glass shop that handles plexiglass. They should be able to make the cuts for you there.

Good luck.
Sorry for the hijack, but...

Whiskers, every time I see your bike I stop to stare at it.Very nice.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:28 PM
91fe
Advanced

someting to add...

I've cut plexi in the past (non-windshields) and used a torch afterwards to heat up the cut edge. Melts it slightly and really clears it up. Try at your own risk, but it worked well with my application.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:50 AM
torkrench
Stage II
Default Exact same situation

Originally Posted by WolfPk
I have a 2008 Road King Classic but the top of the windshield is right at my eye level. I have to either slump down a bit to look through the windshield or sit at straight as possible (like your mom nagged you to do when you were a kid) so I can look over the top. There are two options (shorter or taller) for me to choose from. I wanted to get some opinions from anyone who faced this same situation and which direction, if any, you went. I really don't want to get a super huge windshield but I wonder if the smaller one will be too short (parts book says it is 4" shorter) and not direct enough air over my head. I'm 6' 2" so maybe this is just unique to me?

Anyway, thanks for the input. This is my 4th bike but 1st Harley so I am really stoked!
Im in the exact same situation...same bike same height. I hate wind buffeting & cant stand looking through a windshield. Looking at Klock Werks Flare & Clearvision Recurve...just need to know if the wind will kick up high enough with the 16" & 17" shields?

Old 09-12-2016, 10:13 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,639 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Wow...old thread. Nice to recycle I guess.

Are you getting buffeting now on your stock shield? Not to be confused with the wind coming from under the tank area, as they all do that.

My stock RK shield gave me a very slight buffeting up top and went with the stock height (19.5") Clearview shield with recurve. It eliminated the buffeting for me. The top of the shield is just below my eyes. They also have an 18.5" available. The recurve kicks the air up another 1 1/2" - 2".

Nice thing about Clearview is they will let you try the shield and exchange if needed. Just leave the protective film on the shield to prevent scratching. Call them first, though, if they still do that.

Last edited by RKZen; 09-12-2016 at 10:17 AM. Reason: add'l
Old 09-12-2016, 10:24 AM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

just to add on... Freedom shields operate the same way,, leave the film on and you can return... my stock shield was horrible and too tall... but it allows you to pick the exact shield u need as they measure the freedom shield from the headlight cutout up.. so just measure up on the stock shield from there..and in the re-curve and you should be good....mine comes to my lip i can see over it easily... while riding i lift my hand up to see where the wind id hitting and its directed over my head missing me completely... now you just need to deal with the wind coming up from the tank area....Harley fangs will take care of most of that...

Last edited by INJEKTER; 09-12-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:11 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,161 Likes on 3,653 Posts

Originally Posted by torkrench
Im in the exact same situation...same bike same height. I hate wind buffeting & cant stand looking through a windshield. Looking at Klock Werks Flare & Clearvision Recurve...just need to know if the wind will kick up high enough with the 16" & 17" shields?
I just picked up a 2017 RK and it came with a 20" shield. I'm 5'7" and cant stand looking through the friggin thing. I ordered a 15" from Clearview with the curve up top. I'm hoping its not too short but, aside from a custom size, 17 was the next option.. I'l update once I install and ride it.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:19 AM
2goldens
HDF Community Team
Received 315 Likes on 216 Posts

I had a 20 inch shield on a 2001 Road King I recently bought. Much too high for my 5'8" self. Hated looking through it. Got a Long Ride Shields 16 inch recurve and it's perfect. I can easily see over it and I'm not being buffeted.
Your results will vary with your height and riding style, but I've had 3 LRS on different bikes. Always a good result for me and the prices are fantastic.
http://www.longrideshields.com/defau...FQlXDQoda0YCyA

The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (12-02-2016)

Quick Reply: Windshield wrong height on Road King