Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 07:41 AM
bike_r_trash
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Extended Warranty

Waiting for delivery of my 08 Street Glide (first HD) and have been reading about the extended warranty program. Who's done it and what did you pay? Would you do it again? Looking for feedback before I pull the trigger. It's $600 for an extra three years of coverage according to the paperwork from my dealer. I have done it on my last two bikes, one time it paid for itself, the other it was never used. Both times, I bought at dealer cost rather than the double-that-amount retail price. Do they ever discount this money-maker?

Thanks!

Old 03-26-2008, 07:49 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Extended Warranty

EVERYconsumer publication and advocate says NOT to buy extended warranty on anything.I'm going to cancel mine and get the refund. My experience with the way Harley Dealers handle warranty issues so far is not encouraging.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:54 AM
HDniteryder
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have alwaysbought it for peace of mind. I have never gotten my cost back in repairs. (3 Bikes)

[IMG]local://upfiles/47889/E370D7750AD6470FB40AE9D519A18E15.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-26-2008, 09:00 AM
Fahpah
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I normally dont buy Extended Warrenties, but with all the new innovations HD put into the new touring bikes I did. Now have changed my mind and sent in the paperwork last week requesting to cancel it. Figure they will Pro rate it even though the bike is only 6 mo old but I should get most of the money back.

Now I can get on with Stage I upgrades cause if it wasany day of the weekexcept Thursday or ifthe date was an even number they wont honor the warrenty, at least that is what I heard.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:01 AM
69z28
Road Warrior

I did but it on my RKC when I bought it.I don't know if I will when I trade though.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:10 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: HDniteryder

I have alwaysbought it for peace of mind. I have never gotten my cost back in repairs. (3 Bikes)

[IMG]local://upfiles/47889/E370D7750AD6470FB40AE9D519A18E15.jpg[/IMG]
Same here. It's a drop in the bucket for me and i like having it. My dealer has been good to me even taking care of a few of my screw ups under warranty so i have some trust in them. I don't think of it as a win or lose thing it's the piece of mind that is worth gold to me. Most major repair work on my bike will be dealer done anyway as i do not have the time to work on it but just enough time to ride it. This issue has been hashed out over and over and only you will know what will work for you. Both sides have made good points to me and i went with yes but would never try to convince anyone to do the same. Do a search on here and write down some questions then go to your dealer and ask those questions. The answer will come Grasshopper.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:47 AM
redclassic
Advanced

ORIGINAL: bike_r_trash

Waiting for delivery of my 08 Street Glide (first HD) and have been reading about the extended warranty program. Who's done it and what did you pay? Would you do it again? Looking for feedback before I pull the trigger. It's $600 for an extra three years of coverage according to the paperwork from my dealer. I have done it on my last two bikes, one time it paid for itself, the other it was never used. Both times, I bought at dealer cost rather than the double-that-amount retail price. Do they ever discount this money-maker?

Thanks!
Lots of guys pay over 1 grand for the extra warranty, then spend another grand to void it with pipes, engine build etc...

Old 03-26-2008, 10:27 AM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

When you say 3 years are you counting the first two as the manufactures warranty? If the 600.00 you mention is not a discounted price I can tell you that you are only buying 1 year beyond the two. For example HD advertises their Extended Service Plan or warranty as a 7 year warranty. On an FL series bike like a street glide or Ultra the total cost for the additional esp of 5 years or as they try to advertise it 7 years including tire and wheel package is$1859.00.That is full retail for all additional 5 years and personally I would not be without it.But I ride long distances often and hard.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:04 AM
bike_r_trash
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

My understanding from the sales guy is that it's three years beyond the manufacturers' warranty to give me 5 years of coverage in total. Am I misinformed?

With the new stuff like TBW, etc. and the fact that I'll probably put more than 50,000 on it in 5 years, I've been leaning toward buying it.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:04 PM
bmorebhoy
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't gotten my first Harley yet, I ordered a FLHRC a couple of weeks ago and it should be ready for pick up in late April. I went for the extended warranty because I'm spending around $35K on the thing all in. I got the SE 103 Stage II, ABS, LoJack, some engine chrome and some additional lighting. So now all these additions are covered in my extended warranty since I'm getting them done before delivery. I plan to do some extended trips and thought it'd be good to be able to go to most ant H-D dealership if I needed something sorted out. Plus the cost of the extended warranty was a small percentage of the total amount that I was spending so I went for it.
And maybe it was all those old horror stories from my buddies with the AMF Harleys!

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty