Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 05:15 PM
dropone
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extended Warranty

ORIGINAL: EastSideBikerTrash

I NEVER buy the extended warranty. Rathole the money in a safe place for a rainy day! You'll come out ahead in the long run.

lol,Dave
What he said.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:33 PM
nwbobnw
Cruiser

why not wait and buy it just before your two year warranty is up?

Old 03-27-2008, 06:40 PM
pop1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: rochkes

I bought my 2005 heritage in March of 2005. I paid $1,500 for a warranty to take me out to March of 2012. I used this warranty three times. Saved more than the cost of the warranty and when I traded that bike in January of this year, I cancelled the warranty and got a check back for a little over $700.

I had a stage one upgrade on my Heritage and the two dealers that handled my warranty repairs didn't give me any static about different pipes. Sounds like to me some dealers just won't do what's right. That's not a reason to bash a warranty.

Dennis
Ur exactly right and that is because 99.9% of the time a warrantied part has nothing to do with pipes.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:48 PM
Gart
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

redclassic,

I would look at the paperwork carefully and make sure you are covered until 2012. When they say "3 Year Extended Warranty", they are "technically" correct. It is a "3" year warranty and it is "extended". It is extended for 1 year and what you have is a 3 Year Warranty.

If you got something better, good for you.

Gart

Old 03-27-2008, 08:58 PM
redclassic
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Gart

redclassic,

I would look at the paperwork carefully and make sure you are covered until 2012. When they say "3 Year Extended Warranty", they are "technically" correct. It is a "3" year warranty and it is "extended". It is extended for 1 year and what you have is a 3 Year Warranty.

Gart
I had the paperwork right in front of me but didn't buy. Purchased in 07 with a 2 YEAR WARRANTY,, the 3 YEAR EXTENDED
took it until 2012, so thats 2 yr standard PLUS 3 year EXTENDED. Not just me, but 3 OTHER friends purchased Harleys at DIFFERENT dealers. All warrantys purchased covered exactly like I stated. Maybe yours is the exception. Anyway, thats what dealers around here offer. They represent the MOCO so I can't see why it would be different elsewhere. My buddy purchased a V-Rod in 2002 and got a 3 year extended. In 06 with 54,000 miles something broke in the motor. He was into his 4th year with the bike but they fixed it all for 50 bucks, then he traded for a new bike. Ride safe everyone.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:14 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: redclassic

ORIGINAL: Gart

redclassic,

Gart
I had the paperwork right in front of me but didn't buy. Purchased in 07 with a 2 YEAR WARRANTY,, the 3 YEAR EXTENDED
took it until 2012, so thats 2 yr standard PLUS 3 year EXTENDED. Not just me, but 3 OTHER friends purchased Harleys at DIFFERENT dealers. All warrantys purchased covered exactly like I stated. Maybe yours is the exception.
After you buy the warranty, and have the signed paperwork in hand take a look at the expiration date of the warranty. You will see that the "extended" part of the warranty runs concurrent with the New bike warranty. The extended warranty is not a add on....its a replacement for the new bike 2 year warranty. It is extended, because its longer than 2 years.....not because it starts after the first two years runs out.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:42 PM
redclassic
Advanced

Did you buy a warranty and then find that out?

Old 03-28-2008, 05:35 AM
bike_r_trash
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Talked to my salesman today...the extended warranty does run concurrently with the factory warranty, so the THREE year plan only gives you one additional year of coverage. They discount the six and seven year plans - the six year plan winds up being $23 more than the 5 year....bet they sell a lot of six-year plans.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:19 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: redclassic

Purchased my bike Oct 07. With 3 yr extended dealer said it was good until Oct 2012. Thats a full 5 years from the date of purchase.
Thats a fact, if you get a 5 year extended then you have a full 7 years. Maybe I should roll up my pants legs with all the BS being passed in here.
So, based on your non-BS information, if you buy the "7 year" extended warranty, you get 2 + 7 = 9 years. Didn't know you could get a 9 year warranty. Thanks! I've been enlightened.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:34 AM
Scootr
Road Master

I have one but would probably not do it again. I am still deciding whether to cancel it or not. Like you found out it runs with your current warranty. My five year is really only three. It seems more often than not you will get the "thats not a warranty item" answer anyway[:@]

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty