Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Blocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:20 PM
Ghosty
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering Blocks

Well folks I thought I'd post a report on how installing lowering blocks on my RG went. I have to give EasternRP all of the credit for the easy install as I followed his instructions to the letter and all worked well. I even installed the same brand of lowering blocks. After the installation I spent some time making sure that nothing was going to rub or drag. After satisfying myself all was well I took my wife on a ride up to Mt. Rainier. It's a short ride from where I live of about 35mi. each way. Highway 7 has some pretty good twisties and some sweeping curves and some nice straightaways. I figured if my newly lowered RG could handle all of this all would be well. We ran 25lbs. in the air shocks as that is what we usually run. On the way up to the town of Elbe I was a bit nervous because of the changes in frame geometry the lowering blocks had caused. I was very tentative in the twisties and that made the wife nervous..lol. On the way back I went through the twisties between 10 and 15mph faster than suggested. By the time we got home my face was really beginning to hurt from the constant big *ss grin I had. All I can say is WOW. My bike handles so much better in the twisties and curves it's like I got a new bike. The ride is a little stiffer but it also is more in tunewith what I'm used to when riding. I actually get more feedback and less of a floating feeling. Another good thing is that I can now comfortably reach the ground and have some leg left over...lol.

[IMG]local://upfiles/30695/B5EDD3B0C23D490596F46DCD5DCAE380.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-25-2008, 10:11 PM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Lowering Blocks

Does that kit do just the rears? You'll want to drop the fronts to match, if not, just to keep the geometry closer to the original. Lowering just the rear *can* (not always - depends on how much lowering) have a detrimental affect on handling and on front end grip. Be very careful until you're sure.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Ghosty
Tourer

Yes the blocks just lower the rear of the bike. After giving the bike a good test ride I firmly believe the handling of the bike has improved considerably. I am aware that the air shocks may wear out prematurely but the improvement in handling is well worth any added cost that may occur. The bike tracks much better than it did. In the curves as well as the straightaways. The ride is a bit stiffer and not so mushy giving me more feed back of road conditions. The bike goes where I want it to without undue effort and that pleases me greatly. Some folks may prefer a softer, mushier ride, but that is not what I am used to.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:07 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello from Longview.

Took a ride last Saturday with a bunch from your area. About 80 bikes rode up to St. Helens.

Anyway, on the way back down I was able to twist the throttle a bit. There are some long sweeping corners coming downhill that I took at 80+. This is the first time I've done this on my bike. I've heard about the high speed wobble but until then, I'd never felt it. It felt like the front and the rear of the bike were going different directions. Didn't get severe but it did cause me to roll off the throttle.

Is this the same thing you were feeling before you lowered? I've though about some kind of rear stabilizer or pivot bolt upgrade. Hadn't thought about lowering. Is there a web site I can look at?

Thanks for any help.
Steve

Old 03-26-2008, 01:14 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How much of a Drop did you do to the rear?

I've lowered my Ft about 1 1/4" and the rear 2 1/2" With Adjustable blocks (started there) and ended up with 1 1/2" to the rear...

Old 03-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Ghosty
Tourer

Pappy, I lowered the rear 2". The blocks I bought allow the bike to be lowered between 1" and 3" in 1" increments. I felt that a 2" drop was all I really wanted or needed to address my vertical handicap and was very pleasantly surprised by the improvemnet in handling.

[IMG]local://upfiles/30695/2F94B66FC007458FB31D5EF5466211E3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-26-2008, 01:24 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,869 Likes on 9,332 Posts

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm inclined to think the shocks might rub against the saddle bags if I put the shocks at the lowest setting.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Ghosty
Tourer

Eastern, when I did the installI eyeballed it pretty well. I had my son give it a look and both of us decided that the center section of the shock would be very close to the saddle bags if the blocks were installed for a 3" drop. Decided not to chance it and couldn't be happier. I'd like to take this oportunity to thank you for posting the "how to install these blocks thread". I ordered from BikersDelight as you did and am very happy with the product. Again thanks for posting the install thread as it made the installation a snap.

Virgil

[IMG]local://upfiles/30695/BC8B34FD635248F9A5F0EF23A1D7BCDC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-26-2008, 03:17 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,869 Likes on 9,332 Posts

Good to go Virgil and thanks.

Ken,

Old 03-26-2008, 03:29 PM
gwcrim
Tourer

Not to start an argument or anything but........ If you lower the rear and/or raise the front, the resulting change in frame geometry slows down handling in the corners. You've effectively added more rake, sort of like a chopper. And god knows those things are not known for making quick turns.

Quick Reply: Lowering Blocks