Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unique problem,any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:28 AM
copperjohn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unique problem,any ideas?

I have a 2008 Ultra Classic,stage II big bore and over the weekend I noticed a problem with warm starting,if I wait till the engine light goes out before hitting the start button the bike starts hard almost as if the battery is low,after further investigation (and remembering thePC III slow start issue we have had on the 06 and newer models) I tried turning the ignition on and then immediately hitting the start button it fires right up.WTF? the nike is still under warranty but if there is something simple that I can fix myself it would be nice to avoid the whole dealership rig-a-maro,any ideas form the vast database of knowlegde here?

thanks in advnce for any help

P.S. starts fine when first started up cold.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:40 AM
twincam47
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Unique problem,any ideas?

I would have suggested compression releases with the 103 kit!

Old 03-25-2008, 09:44 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got compression releases on my Stage II 95" motor / 10.25:1... Can tell the difference if I forget to punch them before starting. Easier on your starter too in the long run.

Now whether this is your problem I doubt it since the engine light on or off shouldn't matter, but I know in general they're nice to have for high compression motors.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:45 AM
russl179
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: copperjohn

I have a 2008 Ultra Classic,stage II big bore and over the weekend I noticed a problem with warm starting,if I wait till the engine light goes out before hitting the start button the bike starts hard almost as if the battery is low,after further investigation (and remembering thePC III slow start issue we have had on the 06 and newer models) I tried turning the ignition on and then immediately hitting the start button it fires right up.WTF? the nike is still under warranty but if there is something simple that I can fix myself it would be nice to avoid the whole dealership rig-a-maro,any ideas form the vast database of knowlegde here?

I had this issue. It turned out to be the starter clutch. My dealership had to replace almost the entire primary side. They replaced the starter, clutch hub, and a whole bunch of other things. This is completely a warranty issue.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:47 AM
copperjohn
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: twincam47

I would have suggested compression releases with the 103 kit!
The bike has had no problems starting for the last 3 months since I did the 103 kit,it's the S.E. kit so not to aggressive.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:04 AM
copperjohn
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: russl179

ORIGINAL: copperjohn

I had this issue. It turned out to be the starter clutch. My dealership had to replace almost the entire primary side. They replaced the starter, clutch hub, and a whole bunch of other things. This is completely a warranty issue.
thanks Rusl,but it seems if it was the starter it wouldn't fire right up when hitting the start button without waiting for the engine light to go out.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:13 AM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never wait until my light goes out, just saying....

Old 03-25-2008, 11:09 AM
Lewd_Dude
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no clue boss... mine took 5 revs to pop this morning... it was 26 degrees... gonna be 50 for the ride home from the office...YAHOOOOO! snow tomorrow though [:@]

Old 03-25-2008, 02:31 PM
copperjohn
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Lewd_Dude

no clue boss... mine took 5 revs to pop this morning... it was 26 degrees... gonna be 50 for the ride home from the office...YAHOOOOO! snow tomorrow though [:@]
yeah led dude it would probably take me 5 cranks to pop in that weather,just a west coast softy here.should be only around 70 today,BRRRR!

Old 03-25-2008, 02:48 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Could be the injectors are leaking fuel into the engine, flooding it and making it harder to start. Make sure that you have the zero and 100% throttle set right, or you might just have a leaky injector try some injector cleaner. One of teh things that happen while waiting for the light to go out is the fuel system gets pressurized and might be leaking into the engine. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Unique problem,any ideas?