Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unique problem,any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:01 AM
copperjohn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Unique problem,any ideas?

ORIGINAL: miacycles

Could be the injectors are leaking fuel into the engine, flooding it and making it harder to start. Make sure that you have the zero and 100% throttle set right, or you might just have a leaky injector try some injector cleaner. One of teh things that happen while waiting for the light to go out is the fuel system gets pressurized and might be leaking into the engine. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply but it's more of a lack of cranking power ie; slow cranking not a flooding condition where the motor will crank normal,as mentioned hit the start button when the light first goes on and she fires right up like normal.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:26 AM
wldegl
Intermediate

Got a '96 Road King with a 95" motor pushing about 105 ft lbs torque. Has similar problem. Local mechanic genious set the bike up so I can roll the motor over before hitting the start button. Relieves the compression. He also told me to keep the battery charged as I noticed the slow starting also. Haven't had to mess with the battery since he educated me. Starts great now.

wldegl

Old 03-26-2008, 10:47 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The fuel leaking into the cylinder can "hydraulic" the cylinder or if you dont get enough in to lock up the cylinder it will raise the compression ratio by taking up space making the engine hard to turn over. Also crane makes a relay that increases the voltage to the ignition making it easier to start. This is all based on the premise that you have checked all of the connections, cables for resistance and battery for serviceability. Is your bike stock, if not what has been done to it??

Old 03-31-2008, 08:05 AM
copperjohn
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: miacycles

The fuel leaking into the cylinder can "hydraulic" the cylinder or if you dont get enough in to lock up the cylinder it will raise the compression ratio by taking up space making the engine hard to turn over. Also crane makes a relay that increases the voltage to the ignition making it easier to start. This is all based on the premise that you have checked all of the connections, cables for resistance and battery for serviceability. Is your bike stock, if not what has been done to it??
Bike has the SE stage II kit w/ the 255's,I think I understand your theory:if I hit the starter before the light goes out there has not been enough time for fuel to leak into the cylinder,if I wait the couple of secongs until the light goes out,during that amount of time fule has a chance to leak into the cylinder? I was in Las Vegas all weekend so this weekend I am going to take it by the dealer and they said they will do a quick check on sensors ect...

Old 03-31-2008, 08:09 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,135 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Don't know what your compression is, but anything 10:1 or more should have compression releases. When I did my build on my 04 I used a set of yooper battery cables for better starting.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:33 AM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm no motorcycle mechanic but I'm pretty smart.

Here's what I'm thinking....

When you turn on the run switch and hit the starter before the PCM is booted up there is no spark, this allows the engine to "get rolling" and also puts less strain on your starter, batt, etc... Bam! engine starts. On the other hand, If you wait and allow the PCM to ignite there is spark when you attempt to start causing excessive pressure in the combustion chamber.

I should of been a brain surgeon.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:01 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My '07 did the same thing,no big bore kit either, I just hit the on switch and hit the starter, fires right up now. I quit waiting for that stupid light to go out. All it's telling you is the fuel pump is cycling anyway. If you wait for it to go out, it has to cycle again before it starts.