Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for riding in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 08:58 PM
kickstart pan
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tips for riding in the rain

stay behind the windshield, dress in good raingear. and slow down .
Avoid the low areas of the road where water ponds and be careful

kickstart

Old 03-27-2008, 12:10 AM
indaupeh
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When ever I have lost a friend, I take the nexttime it rains and go for a ride to remember. As soon as I can stop raining I turn around and head home to dry out. Don't sweat the rain. Just slow down and drive safe or take a break. And if ya ever see some loonatick ride en in a down pour give him a little extra room(he might be thinking of a friend).

One more thing all the stuff above as far as tips go is all true. Good luck ride free ride safe.

indaupeh

Old 03-27-2008, 07:10 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Lots of good posts here, and I suspect I'm not adding anything new.

I carry good raingear, not the least of which is a good pair of GoreTex gloves. Once leather gloves get wet, they are very uncomfortable, particularly if the temperatures dip below about 60 degrees. I really appreciate my full face helmet during the rain because it keeps my face dry, but it's sometimes difficult to keep the faceshield from fogging up. I just crack it open a little bit every couple of minutes and I get by.

During anything but a light rain, the expressway is miserable. Once the road gets wet, the trucks and cars throw a spray that is uncomfortable and makes it seem like it's raining harder than it really is. Even if I'm trying to make time (a mistake during rain), I try to get off the expressway during rainy days and take the back roads. You'll stay cleaner, safer, and more comfortable.

This will sound silly, but I am surprised at how true it is: the fear of riding in the rain is worse than the actual experience. During a recent trip from Atlanta to Key West, I rode over 600 miles in the rain during a two-day period, and I found that if I took the extra trouble to stay dry, the actual riding wasn't too bad. But the trick is to have good gear so that you can actually stay dry from head to toe.

Oh, and of course you want to ride slower, more cautious, and take plenty of breaks.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:33 AM
Olde Skool
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next time your bike is ready for a good ole take the bags-n-seat off wash job and it is predicting rain, go out with the info posted here and get some rain riding experience. You will be close to home and hopefully know the roads and hazards associated in dry conditionsAND gain much needed knowledge of how your bike handles in wet conditions. The plus to this is not fretting about how nasty the bike is because you needed to wash it anyway, and you can tell the fellas I went riding today!

[sm=signs003.gif]

Old 04-28-2008, 10:58 PM
mountian man
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went on a trip to Maggie Valley a couple weeks ago in NC to the Wheels of Time Moto collection,Beautiful Harley's in there,By the Way in Sept.They are haveig a Auction and selling off about 250 Harley's all highly collectable 1917' stuff like that.Thats what the man in charge told us anyway.
Anyway we were on the way home and I did'nt know it at the time but they had Tornado warnings,Wind rain all that good stuff.Well one thing I was glad of was the Rain-x I had put on the windshield.Put it on your face shield to.It sure help water just roll off.Slow down,Don't get excited.Have fun and enjoy the time.