Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for riding in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 05:07 PM
dogtags
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tips for riding in the rain

I ride from NH to Myrtle Beach every year and it always rains. I just get into a lane and stay there. I keep a steady pace and hold on. I hate it but when I have to get there.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A motorcycle will hydroplane just like a car, around 62+ mph in the right conditions (saturated CA concrete 8-lane interstate). If you find that into your wet cruise, you no longer have steering input, you're now hydroplaning. Just ease off the throttle and the bike will regain the road, typically by the time you hit the side of the lane since even interstate highways are angled to drain off rain buildup...so keep it under that speed! [&:]

Old 03-25-2008, 06:16 PM
redhwk44
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main thing is to slow down, and make sure the cages can see you. If that means putting on your four ways then do it. I would also recommen staying out from under those highway over passes. They are the location of a lot of wrecks. I read that the cage drivers see you standing there and fixate on you, the next thing you know you are dogding a Buick and hoping that 18 wheeler swerves to miss it all.

Good luck and safe riding.

Jeff

Old 03-25-2008, 06:31 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior

I compare riding my bike in the rain to driving my car in the early part of a snow storm. Just back off on the speed, increase following distance, less lean in turns, and as others have already stated, watch those white lines, manhole covers, and railroad crossings. Above all, be extra vigilant about watching cagers. They are going to drive as though it were a sunny day qualifying at Daytona. Other than that, a helmet with a full shield is better than a pair of glasses. I use a 3/4 open face with a flip shield mostly, with a full face helmet for colder days that promise rain. Good quality rain gear is great, but I still use the basic H-D rain suit. It ain't that bad really unless you are riding through a biblical downpour.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:32 PM
toketee
Cruiser

Don't wait to put on the rain gear, you get to thinking it's not goiing to last that long and before youknow it you are wet and very cold and you stay that way until you get somewhere warm and dry.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:42 PM
Xtreme Hawg
Elite HDF Member

There's a lot of really good advise listed in the above post. If ya take that advise and apply a little common sense you'll do just fine. I hate riding in the rain and try to avoid it as much as possible, but sometimes you have no choice. If it's raining hard and you can't see very good, then common sense should dictate thatother drivers on the road may be having a hard time seeing also. It's bad enough not beingnoticed on a good day, can you imagine how hard it is to see ya in a downpour? Take your time, be careful and if at all possible find a place, other than the shoulder to wait it out or at least wait until it slacks up a little. Good Luck... "D"

Old 03-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Jager
Cruiser

Lots of good advice here.

You have FAR more traction in the wet than most people realize - probably on the order of 75-80% of what's available in dry conditions. The thing is, that traction is what I call "brittle" - when you reach its limits it goes away very quickly. Unlike dry conditions when traction going away is far more progressive and predictable. So being smooth with all your control inputs is the key.

You can't do much serious riding and not end up riding in lots of rain. So you might as well accept it, learn to be ok with it, and ultimately, to enjoy it!

Old 03-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Moby
Cruiser

A lot of good advice here. I don't enjoy riding on Interstates in the rain; but a country road in the rain is very nice (if properly prepared). We got caught in a heavy rain while on a Dyna Wide Glide (no windshield). I had on a 3/4 helmet. Rain does really hurt; but it also really cleaned my leather jacket, made it incredibly soft. I find myself wishing I still had that bike just to clean my jacket.

I flew into Baltimore one morning, I think in Spring or Summer 1999. They had had a long period of no rain. It had rained right before I arrived and the city was almost gridlocked because of car crashes on the roads made slick from rain mixing with the accumulated oils.

In addition to what others said, be very careful of the steel plates used to cover road construction. They become slippery like ice in the rain. Same thing goes for steel grate bridges.

Just get out and ride in the rain, its not as bad as some would have you think, and you might actually enjoy it.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:01 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

put rain gear on before it starts to rain.
find shelter, bikes and lightning don't mix.
If you have to ride through it, SLOW DOWNYou can hydoplane
very easyu on a bike. And that is not fun!!
Don't Ask me how I know!

Old 03-25-2008, 08:13 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

And when the ride is done, you will have the most filthy looking bike imaginable. That to me is the worst.
Ron

Quick Reply: Tips for riding in the rain