Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for riding in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 05:36 AM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Tips for riding in the rain

here in FL if ya dont want ta ride in the rain then ya aint ridin very much. a good FF helmet with shield is a plus-rain suit-beyond that just ride. just do everything a little slower and be more cautious and aware of your moves and surroundings. glare of on coming head lights is my bane. a clearview shield and Nolan FF bail me out.

i ride 24/7/365. my rule is i wont shy away from a ride in the rain but wont "joy ride" in it either. if theres a purpose to it-im suited up and gone

Old 03-25-2008, 06:02 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep good rubber on your tires. That 2/32" or greater tread is what clears the water so you have contact with the road and don't hydroplane.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:09 AM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't do it.... you will slide downand scratch **** up... don't ask me how I know...

Old 03-25-2008, 07:19 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

A good rain suit first,then it is all up to you and the conditions you have to ride in.Certainly need to be a lot more cautious,and having a windshield makes it a lot more bearable.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:38 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lots of good advice above, I also keep a good coat of wax on my windshield....NEVER use RAIN-X, it will cloud or yellow the lexan of the windshield, but a good coat of any liquid wax will help shed the water and make it a little easier to see through. Wearing light colors helps for other people to see you easier....I wear a white helmet....you would be amazed at how far you see a white helmet through the rain. I've been on summer vacations were I've ridden pretty much all day every day in the rain for several days in a row....kind of a pain, but if you don't let it get to you its really not that bad. My rain gear is large enough to fit over my leather and I wear tote pull on rubber boots, if you can stay warm and dry it makes the whole experience a lot less stressful.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:48 AM
vindyl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ride it with a little caution is all. Glad to see someones gonna ride in the rain. Myself and a few friends went to bike week a few years ago and it was raining when we left had a blast getting there. Had alot of wana be bikers sayin **** like dosent look fun but if your a biker riding is fun no matter what.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:56 AM
WireDawg
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Common sense stuff: Good Rain suit, decent tire tread, slow down, no center of lane riding, know your limitations & abilities, etc.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:10 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Carry a full face shield that can snap on to a helmet is a great idea, that rain can sting.. especially at speed.

Good gear, smooth riding.

Always keep that raingear in the saddlebag.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:41 AM
stimul8ing guy
Road Captain

if you live in a no helmet state like i do then you at least want to carry a good set of goggles that will not fog up or allow water in...frankly i'm still looking for the goggles that will accomplish just that...we're heading to texas(another no helmet state)next week for 6 days and my only reservation is that i've not yet found such goggles...anyone?

Old 03-25-2008, 08:47 AM
artt
Cruiser

Good Rain Gear
Full Face Shield
Heated Vest even in the Summer - Combats Fatigue by reducing core heat loss
Don't be afraid to say "This is more than I want to deal with." Stop wait rain lets up a bit

Quick Reply: Tips for riding in the rain