Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for riding in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:59 PM
6165hd
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tips for riding in the rain

I got caught a few times, and the best advise is to ride your ride, don't let other 4 wheelers push you to go faster...F_--_. Them. Take your time, its not a race..... If its a thunderstorm, downpour... pull it over for a few minutes until its passed.

As mentioned.... I think seeing is more of a problem than the bike being an issue,,,, Keep your Tires and Breaks up to date far as service and wear.....

Old 03-24-2008, 09:17 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Use your back brake, easy on the front. Ease on the brakes before you need to stop to clear some of the water off of the discs. Buy Metzeler tires, they are superior to Dumlops on wet roads. Go ahead and ride in the rain. You will get used to it and it won't be so bad when you MUST ride. You will dry, and the bike can be cleaned up.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:25 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have good rain gear and rain for your boots. The rain is not even going to get you wet. Drive with speeds less then normal for the area till you get use to the wet roads. Full shield is the best, but you get caught without it do the best that you can. Do not over drive your bike on the wet roads. I drive to work ever day rain or shine. Ice will stop me from riding that day. My boss with send me out to D.C. a couple times a month I love the bike over another cager day. If it rains dress for it is just another day. Now the cars might not see you as soon as you would like. And when you get home wash the dirt off your bike before you go in. You never want to do it later.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:46 PM
classic cruiser
Cruiser

Avoid it if you can. I haven't done much of it but hated every minute.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:58 PM
DZLDR
Road Warrior

choose your rain gear wisely, and make sure that is isnt going to come close to your exhaust. daym neart impossible to get off the pipes. don't ask me how I know.
lots of good advise above. main thing is to not ride above your abilities, don't be afraid of riding in the rain,and always remember,you bought your Harley to have FUN! Go out and enjoy it!!

Old 03-24-2008, 10:11 PM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

There are people who know how to drive/ride in the rain and there are those who don't.

If you know how to drive in the rain, then the only thing different riding is to not lean as far as when it's dry, and what those other guys said, with the added benefit you don't need wipers if you have a face shield. The rest is the same as driving in the rain, such as more time to brake, slower take off, and more space between vehicles. Like that article reference, if you don't know how to drive in the rain, or it exceeds your comfort level (just like lots of other things can - personal choice like everything else about riding should be), just pull over or don't go out.

After living and riding in the midwest with big storms, and overseas with typhoons, 25 years in California was a blast except when it rained. Cages paid no attention to the rain, and still crowded, pushing you to go 80, or they crawled, scared they'd lose traction.
Old fart every day rider.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7206/FA4BA52007B342F3B2FB0065C0099A76.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-25-2008, 01:48 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's like being shot by a machine gun. I put a bandanna over my face and forhead and look for shelter. That's when you wish you had the full helmet!

Old 03-25-2008, 03:41 AM
cmcsns
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't ride that much differently than I normally do. Just be more aware of road conditions and traffic as visibility is a bit lower. If I get uncomfortable with anything, I stop. If you get "caught out there" just think happy thoughts, ya can't change it so you might as well enjoy it! I've been stopped under an overpass middle of nowhere several times and once in awhile people will stop to see if I'm ok and invariably ask "how can you do this"? My response is always the same, "as soon as this passes, I'll have forgotten all about it"! Enjoy

Old 03-25-2008, 04:12 AM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master

usually when it starts raining ,i give it about 1 hour for the oil and such to wash off the road surface, i'm usually not in any rush to get anywhere when im riding so it isnt a problem for me,if it looks like it's going to down pour any minute,i grab the rain gear,throw the rain cover on the seat and pull off the road for a meal ,throw all my rain gear on before heading out the door and just take it easy the rest of the ride home,i dont let cagers push me fast than i prefer to travel

Old 03-25-2008, 05:26 AM
ctmedic
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just remember the following

Its only water.... relax relax relax. If you tense up its going to be worse on you then the bike. Have good rain gear, and even if you ride with a 1/2 helmet get one with a the ability to snap on a shield. It really helps.

Frank

Quick Reply: Tips for riding in the rain