Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine noise question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Rain
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine noise question

2000 Road King with 45k miles, fairly quiet mufflers. Cold startup sounds like a lifter noise if it were an older car. Quietsmostly after running a minute but still think it's there very lightly going down the hiway. Bike has windshield and wind deflectors so probably hearing all noises. Oil level full and less than 2000 mileson it. Cam chain tensioners were checked within the last 500 miles.

Is this normal for this engine?The 1200 Sportster that I had rattled like a sewing machine and never broke so not sure if this is right or I need to take it back into the dealer (boughtdealer warranty and they replace just about anything that shows wear at no cost). They had it for the cam chain tensioner check and replaced gears in the trans, primary and secondary gears and sprockets and rear sprocket and rear head gasket. All I payed for was the belt.Thinking maybe this is normal or they would have torn into that too? They must make money on this warranty. It's from a warranty company, not HD. I know when I was in the automotive business we could make decent money from these type of warranties as well.

Any thoughts?

Old 03-24-2008, 08:30 PM
zzrider
Cruiser
Default RE: Engine noise question

I heard a noise resembling this on my EG and after explaining it to my mechanic he told me he thought I was hearing the fuel injecters. Maybe the same thing?

Old 03-24-2008, 08:36 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like you have a lazy lifter. Wouldn't hurt to drop in a set. You could have one of the others that won't stay pumped up when hot and that may be what you are hearing. Everybodys perception of noise is differnet. All I will say is hydraulic lifters are suppose to be quite.
Ron

Old 03-24-2008, 08:37 PM
Rain
Tourer

ORIGINAL: zzrider

I heard a noise resembling this on my EG and after explaining it to my mechanic he told me he thought I was hearing the fuel injecters. Maybe the same thing?
Mines actually carbureated, not FI. I think they made both that year. Like your (thier) signature picture by the way.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Rain
Tourer

ORIGINAL: rbabos

Sounds like you have a lazy lifter. Wouldn't hurt to drop in a set. You could have one of the others that won't stay pumped up when hot and that may be what you are hearing.
Ron
Thanks. Wondered about it. Seen others here that have changed them out just to have the same noise when done. So this wouldn't be considered a "normal" noise?

Old 03-24-2008, 08:54 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Some noises are normal. You will always be able to hear the valves hitting their seats and things like that. This is constant uniform noise and normal.Can't tell if the sound you hear is normal over the internet but the lifter swap will at least cure the one that's noisy during startup.
Ron

Old 03-24-2008, 09:11 PM
Rain
Tourer

Understood and thanks. Guess I'll drop it back by and let them have it for a few days before it starts really warming up outside.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Rain
Tourer

The bike spent two days at the dealership and they rode it and listended and stated "normal" big twin noise. At least it's documented. have 18 months left on the warranty. If the bleed down gets bad back it goes.

Thanks for everyone's opinions