Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reduced Effort Clutch Kit - DIY?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008 | 11:59 AM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior
Default RE: Reduced Effort Clutch Kit - DIY?????

Don't the newer bikes all come with this installed?

Maybe I'm dreaming.

Old 03-25-2008 | 12:06 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master

Yep, new bike come this way.

Had no problems with the install.

Maybe others can comment - but I remember reading the the clutch plate could be installed without pulling the primary cover off - as I remember, you need to bend the spring plate a bit to squeeze out through the clutch cover opening.

Which brings up another question: why didn't the MoCo make the clutch opening such that you can pull the clutch out without removing the primary cover?

Old 03-25-2008 | 04:46 PM
dchoran
|
Road Warrior

WOW - thanks for all the replies - sounds like a winner - and a cheap DIY'er.

Still don't have a clear picture though on the install - the entire primary cover must come off or just the clutch cover???

What's the deal with the exhaust - no need to pull off anything if you can go through the clutch cover???

And help me out, WTF is a "ramp"??? You have to change the lever too to put in this ramp???

It would beCOOL if someone had access to a scanner and put the install directions online here as a linked .pdf or pic???

Many of us would really appreciate that

THANKS

Dave H.

Old 03-25-2008 | 05:02 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: dchoran

Still don't have a clear picture though on the install - the entire primary cover must come off or just the clutch cover???

What's the deal with the exhaust - no need to pull off anything if you can go through the clutch cover???

And help me out, WTF is a "ramp"??? You have to change the lever too to put in this ramp???

It would beCOOL if someone had access to a scanner and put the install directions online here as a linked .pdf or pic???

THANKS

Dave H.
The "ramp" is at the end of the cable down on the engine not up on the clutch perch. Its exactly what it sounds like.....a ramp thats in sort of a circle, so when the lever is pulled in and the cable pulled this ramp turns pushing a rod that in turn pushes a spring to release pressure on the clutch plates.

I dont know thats about the best I can describe it?????

I just wanted to know what a VPC is that SCRider talked about........Variable pull clutch....????

Old 03-25-2008 | 06:16 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member

ORIGINAL: dchoran

THANKS

Dave H.
Dave,

I had to change out my clutch cable for my handlebar swap. On my '06 I had to drop the exhaust to get at the clutch cover. No way around it. Maybe someone here has found a better way. Anyway you just have to remove the clutch cover. I recommend that you roll the bike up onto a 2x6x8 to allow the bike to lean over further and you won't have to drain the tranny.
[IMG]local://upfiles/4575/87839AA649F6477C92F67F727F278126.jpg[/IMG]

The ramp is that 2 piece cast unit in the lower corner of the pic below. It sits in a recess inside the clutch cover and has 3 ball rearings sandwiched between the two halves. Your clutch cable will hook onto the end of the ramp and when you pull the cable the top half of the ramp assembly will pivot and roll on the ball bearings forcing the two halves apart and thus pushing against the clutch basket. You will need a pair of ring pliers to remove the snap ring holding the ramp in place. I recommend replacing the gasket although you might get away with reusing the old one. It really is a simple job. A manual helps.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4575/FB3016E28E254C3CA915ABF7B0228D58.jpg[/IMG]

After posting this, I went to my '06 service manual. The diaphram spring pictured above has to be installed on the clutch basket. This will involve removing the derby cover on the left side. This may be the extent of this or it could be more involved. I can't honestly say for sure because my scoot came with the new design. I am only familiar with the clutch cover disassembly on the right side. I believe someone earlier said something about just installing the ramp and not the spring. This may be why it wasn't done.

Old 03-25-2008 | 07:12 PM
maxum96
Cruiser

I put it in my 04 Softail. Works like a charm.

Old 03-25-2008 | 07:43 PM
db2753
Tourer

I got mine couple weeks ago, still working onmy guts to install it. Guess now after reading this post its time to do it.

Old 03-25-2008 | 10:02 PM
nb472
Road Captain

You will need a pair of LARGEsnap ring pliers. If you can't borrow some, figure another 40 bucks.