Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air temp gauge install

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 08:51 PM
CREEPSHOW
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Air temp gauge install

Just wanted to say the air gauge is installed. I didn't have anything there before and this fills the hole! Kinda cool really. Thanks to I Spy for the new gauge, Dawg for the instructions, and Xtreme Hawg for the tip on the sensor relocation. Them bottom gauges are a bear to get to but with enough swivels anything can be done! No chrome bezel but I think it matches my home made plug better without. Thanks again.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:17 PM
I SPY
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are welcome! [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 03-27-2008, 09:27 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Blue06classic

I have the wonderful air temp gauge, and yes it does a good job of telling me what the temp is inside my faring on a hot sunny day... but it is very accurate on cooler days...which is when you need to be concerned with the wind chill...I will ride when it's cold...in fact took my mother for her first ride on a day that never went over 40...a ride to benefit the Fisher House in Fayetteville, NC.

As far as the oil temp....I don't need to know how hot my oil is...I can tell by my oil pressure how hot the oil is...the hotter the oil gets...the lower the pressure gets...pretty simply to figure out...hot oil is thinner than cold oil...so it won't provide as much pressure...only time I'm worried about oil temp is parade details and stop and go traffic...If I realize I don't have the oil pressure I'd like...I just pull over and let it cool down some...as long as you're moving it will cool it down...if you're stuck in stop and go...pull over and shut it down...
I think IIRC the MOCO's idea for the ambient temp gauge was so that you would have a better idea of when the road surface could be frozen with black ice and such. Not just so you would know what the temp was....you could listen to the weather report for that.

As far as the oil temp vs: oil pressure goes.......well I prefer to have both. Each reflects a different aspect of engine performance....yes the oil pressure will drop as the temp rises, but it will also drop as the oil viscosity starts getting thinner. Oil temperature can give you a good idea of how hot/cool your engine is running.....this can become critical after some modifications where one of the desired effects was to get the bike to run cooler.....this cant be detected by a pressure gauge.
This is just off the top of my head.....I am quite sure if I was given a few min to think about it I could come up with a half dozen reasons to have both a oil pressure and oil temp gauge on the dash.