Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ANY FUNCTIONAL DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE BIG SUCKER AND SE AIR CLEANER?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 06:13 PM
quackhead
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ANY FUNCTIONAL DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE BIG SUCKER AND SE AIR CLEANER?

ORIGINAL: Gutman

SE's breather passages are now molded in. Basically the same theory different design now between the two. The SE uses a fiberglass style air cleaner and will come apart within 2500-3000 miles. K&N has arepalcement. The Big Sucker comes with the K&N cotton style element that will last the life of the bike. I would get the Big Sucker. Verify correct year when purchasing. They have 3 differnt ones now and are also avalible in chrome backplates. The silver looks horrible on a black engine.
does anyone know the part # for the K&N replacement filter for the SE?

Old 03-24-2008, 06:37 PM
garyl
Cruiser
Default RE: ANY FUNCTIONAL DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE BIG SUCKER AND SE AIR CLEANER?

I have the BS cleaner and also had the SE. I think that the BS is an easier install and cleaner look.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:20 PM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the big sucker stage 1...it uses the stock football cover. I have a SG with the black and chrome engine, so I ordered the silver backing plate and painted it with black trim paint using a buzz can, looks better thanfactory. Remember to tape off the gasket surface, and dont paint the front where the filter attaches. Another thing,my big sucker had o-rings that were larger than the recess area's they were supposed to fit, I have a cheap harbor freight o-ring assortment, found 4 that fit the backing plate and bolted it on, add a little dab of blue lock tite to all of the bolts / studs.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:14 AM
Big Peter
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Duke of HD

I want to order the Big Sucker for my bike because it is avail with a chrome back place and I was wondering if there are any functional differences between it and the SE air cleaner kit as far as the breather hoses? I found some other questions asking which is better, I know both will probably flow more than my motor will need but I would like to know more specifically about the breather lines and how they work on each kit.
I havethe Big Sucker (no more breather hoses)
With the stage 1 you can use the stock cover.
Also has a washable filter.

Peter

Old 03-26-2008, 07:54 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: maineultraclassic

The Big Sucker has built-in or molded in vent lines for the breathers, where the SE still uses rubber tubes.

That's about the biggest difference............I prefer the Big Sucker for the cleaner install.

Steve
Steve,
FYI, 08 touring SE backplates look just like the Big Sucker........no hoses.....easy install too !!!