Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D&D exhaust question for the experts

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 05:27 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: D&D exhaust question for the experts

ORIGINAL: onlythebest

MaineUltra is there any way of telling which baffle is in there without taking it apart?

OTB
The standard and quiet baffles both look the same when looking at them while they are installed. The only way to know what you have is to remove the baffle.......the standard baffle has a solid outer can with no wrapping, the quiet baffle has a perforated outer can with wrapping. The core diameters and the same and the grating is the same........it's all in the outer can and wrapping.

Steve

Old 03-25-2008, 09:09 AM
edtexas
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boy, just in time!
I will be selling my fatcat in the next couple of weeks. It's a fantastic exhaust. When I got the exhaust, ithad the standard baffle in it.After it was installed, I fired the engine, and immediately shut it off. It was ridiculously quiet. I live in Dallas where it is a short ride to D&D in
Fort Worth. I drove over and they willingly exchanged the whole mufflerfor the big bore baffle which was actually better for my engine which is a Zippers 107. Lots of headwork and a souped up super G carb. I have never added anything to a motor where I saw such an immediate improvement.

I think that this package might be exactlywhat you're looking for. I spoke with the developer of the pipes and he said that the quiet baffle will give you 1-2 extra ft.lbs.but not as long a tq curve, the standard baffle will give you a torque curve that kicks in at 2200-2300 rpm, and the big bore will give you a torque curve that kicks in about 2600-2700, but it will alsoimprove your horsepower numbers. The bigger cams and pistons you have will make up for thedelayed torque curve. They bothkick in early with torque. What the big bore does is it allows you to reach higher speeds in each gear. The quiet baffles will not let you maximize the higher end of your rpm range when passing or racing someone on the street. Talk to anyone that builds and tunes
engines, and I think that you will find agreement on this.

I would not consider this exhaust a loud exhaust. Nowhere near it. I had KhromeWerks HP
100 slip-ons on the bike before and they were notably louder. Atcruising speeds the pipe is very civilized and sweet. I can't imagine that it would interfere with your tunes. You cannot imagine how quickly your bike will accelerate from70 to 90 with this exhaust. Don't forget, you spent a lot on your engine to gain hp and tq. Make sure you put the right pipe on it.

My fatcats have less than 90 miles on them. The reason I will be selling them is because I purchased an S&S 124" at a ridiculously low price (The bike was a theft-recovery, with the engine and frame being the only parts found). I will be ordering the Boarzilla for the big S&S
which is the appropriate exhaust for this sized engine. The Boarzilla has bigger headpipes and
comes with the big bore baffle as standard equipment. Changing the baffle in the Boarzilla to a baffle that produces more backpressure will diminish the performance of the bigger engine. I have never heard of anyone changing a baffle on a Boarzilla. It's counterproductive.

If you're interested, you can send me a personal message. It'll save you a few bucks. Include your phone number if you want to find out more info.I can take pics of the fatcats on the bike if you'd like.

I'll be selling the 107 twin cam complete after the S&S is installed if you know anyone that might be interested.
It's been recently upgraded with some high performance insides.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:03 AM
mhud
Road Captain

I switched to Fatcats a few months ago and like you I enjoy my tunes while cruising. My suggestion would be the quiet baffle which is what I have. It's not quiet! I can hear the tunes but if the standard baffle is louder I would have to be near max volume.

[IMG]local://upfiles/43876/A9DEEA477C7F443A901988171084C1C3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-25-2008, 01:38 PM
onlythebest
Road Warrior

Ed your telling me there is a "big bore" baffle? Ok you got my attention. I wonder if it would be too much for my setup. As I said above I like the sound but I still think its a bit quiet and would like to try that baffle. I have a 103 (not the street legal II kit) 10.5.1 pist, 103+ heads, 258 cams, race tuner etc. Whats your opinion? I may give D&D a call because they never respond to my emails for some reason.

I will probably have to retune it after the switch.

Maine thanks for the info brother.

OTB

Old 03-25-2008, 05:15 PM
edtexas
Cruiser

"OnlytheBest"

The big bore bafflefor the fatcatis exactly the same baffle that comes standard on the Boarzilla.

The fatcat is an extremely popular pipe in Dallas where the biker scene is huge. A lot of guys out here have upgraded to the big bore baffle because they have done engine work similar to
yours. Many of the guys complain about the "tinny" sound of the standard and quiet baffles.
If you look at some older posts on this site, you will find many riders making this observation.
This is particulary evident when accelerating. Just doesn't seem to sound right. Again your
compression and cam profile will have no problem turning on the torque earlier in the curve.
I heard this from the developer of the pipes and the Harley engine mechanic at Carrolton Harley, Dallas' largest. You will love the sound of this pipe. Here's the "sound" story on the pipe; When your engine is warm and it's idling, the pipe sounds just a bit louder than a stock Harley exhaust.
If you rap or twist the throttle, you will get a loud growl. Normal riding in the 2000-3000 range
the pipe is very sedate. Now, if you're accelerating hard, racing someone, or passing someone,
the pipe gets loud and assertive. It has an exhaust note that is very similar to a Lamborhini,
and if you have a bigger motor it sounds and feels really good. The pipes performed well just where I liked them in the 3000-5000 rpm range. Again, the biggest surprise was how much
faster the bike accelerated from 70 to 90+mph. Before the pipe, with Khromewerks HP100's
the bike hit 68mph in second gear, after the fatcat, top speed in second was 73. So while other guys, without your substantialupgrades and the fatcat, are wasting time shifting from 2nd to 3d
at about 50-55mph, you are blasting past them with the additional horsepower from the baffle.
There's no way a 95" or many other 103's will beat you.

It's funny to read the comments from some of the guys on this site. A lot of them ride with the
stock pipes from Harley for years, and as you know, they are quieter than most Hondas. When
they upgrade to a performance pipe, the slightest increase in decibels is a whole new experience for them. They're used to sitting in their living rooms and quiet SUV's so the new noise is really
something different for them. Police Harleys use performance exhausts that are much louder than a stock pipe, especially under acceleration. You would never get pulled over for this combination. Now, you may get pulled over for speeding or racing. Good luck

Old 03-25-2008, 05:23 PM
edtexas
Cruiser

P.S. to Only the Best

At cruising speed, 70mph, the big bore is really mellow. About half as loud as a thunderheader. I can't imagine that it would impede the tunes from your radio. By the way, I'm not a big fan of too much black on a bike, but you're bike is one of the sexiest touring machines I've seen in a while. The perfect balance of black, chrome, and red. Congrats on winning "BOTM". Good luck.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:25 PM
ratcat
Tourer

Where can a fellow go to buy this differant baffles? I've looked for a while and no luck. Like someone else said, I get no reply from D&D.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:17 AM
onlythebest
Road Warrior

Ed thanks for the info, I am going to look into it.

Rob

Old 03-29-2008, 08:17 AM
VonDutch
1st Gear

Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for the great input.
The decision is made the deed is done. I orded the Fatcats (Chrome)with the big bore high performance quiet standard baffle( this is supposed to be funny) all kiddin aside it is coming with the standard baffle. I place the order with Cateye customs. I talked to Sarah I heard she was better looking than Bart!!! got them for 600 something shipped to my door!!!!

Old 03-29-2008, 08:44 AM
onlythebest
Road Warrior

You will love the pipe for sure!

I still have no response from D&D and cant get a decent connection where I am at in Iraq to call. Guess I will wait till I get home to call and ask about the Borzilla baffle for my pipe.

Quick Reply: D&D exhaust question for the experts