Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103 Stage II kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 11:36 PM
Vettepro
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 103 Stage II kit?

I want to get a new Street Glide in the next couple of weeks. THe question is whether I should let the dealer put in their cams with the 103 big bore kit, or pass on the cams and install something better after the fact.
The duration numbers on the Stage II cams look really weird.
From those that have these cams with the big bore kit, what's your opinion?
I plan on replacing or porting the heads anyway, so I'm not concerned with breaking into a new motor.
I'm looking to get 100 RWHP with heads, cams, cylinder/pistons and a 2 into 1 header. Am I being overly optimistic? ( I know the dealer cams won't come close)

Old 03-23-2008, 01:13 AM
onlythebest
Road Warrior
Default RE: 103 Stage II kit?

I went with almost the same setup. If your going to stay with harley stuff go with the HTCC or 103+ headswith comp releasesand 10-5-1 pistons, new jugs,258, or 257 cams, SERTor DTT/Tmax, and a single pipe like fatcat. I got 102HP and 100TQ (posted in the dyno section). Very happy with the setup and what I spent.I to was hoping to break 100 and was happy when I did but best of all the bike runs right and responds to my riding style.

You can get alot more out of a build with HQ or others but for Harley goods I am satisfied.

OTB

Old 03-23-2008, 06:26 AM
TNBagger
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Stage II setup on my '08 Ultra using the 255 cams in the kit. Those cams are good for low end torque but start to fade out around 4000 RPM. There are better cam choices if you are planning on head work, etc. The HD street legal Stage II setup will be coveredunder the 2 year HD warranty if you get the work done within the first 90 days, however. A good 2:1 exhaust system will bring your bike to life after the upgrades. I just installed a Supertrapp Supermeg 2:1 with 17 discs on mybike andit nowhas good pull even in 6th gear on the Interstate.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:40 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

HD 103 jugs, SE flat top pistons, stock heads TMAT, D&D 2-1, HQ 500 (mild) cams, = 101 HP/105 TQ. Planning to get the heads done by HQ and switch to the SERT for better MPG and local support from Dealer. If I had it to do over again I would do the whole thing HQ with a SERT.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:04 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: masterblaster

HD 103 jugs, SE flat top pistons, stock heads TMAT, D&D 2-1, HQ 500 (mild) cams, = 101 HP/105 TQ. Planning to get the heads done by HQ and switch to the SERT for better MPG and local support from Dealer. If I had it to do over again I would do the whole thing HQ with a SERT.
Masterblaster said it best!

The HD builds will get you to the 100/100 mark and there is nothing wrong with a well put together HD build.Lots of guys running them and are happy but there is just so much more available going with an aftermarket kit such as from HQ. HD also gets you on the big bore, they sell you new cylinders where yours are just fine for boring to get to 103 and you will save about $150. Why spend money on a cam now that you know you will be yanking out later? Thats another $250-$300 that you just tossed out the window. Most have done the same as you propose, steps along the way and in the end it costs you so much more to do it this way.

Do some research, save a bit of money and then do the heads, cams bore at the same time. (BTW, quite a few HD dealers are HQ dealers also, ask them) Go here: http://www.head-quarters.com/to learn a bit more and you can even price a build for your bike. The 07's and 08's use the same parts. Only thing needed after getting the parts is a good builder to put it together for you! Good luck with your decision and build !

Old 03-23-2008, 07:17 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Dalton, I only got the HD juggs and pistons because they were giving me a deal while I was getting the 10k service, $653installed, put the HQ cams in later, should have went with the 575 cams but dont know how much that would have added, will see what the HQ heads dosoon. Still might go with the 575, will be switching the Tmat out for the SERT of the new unit from MTT ( I think thats the company that invented the SERT).

Old 03-23-2008, 07:32 AM
IceHeritage
Road Master

SE 103 and it Runs like a Raped Ape! Love it.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:43 AM
MustBBrent
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a bit of a different opinion.

I have the Stage 2 103" installed in mine. It has tons of torque through the usable band. I think the dyno showed mine just over 105 ft/lbs to the rear tire, but it only makes 85 or so HP.

The best part is... as mine isa new machine with 5 years of warranty, it is all covered under the warranty. No hassles, no problems, no finger pointing, no issues.

Yes, I already want more ponies and more ft/lbs... who doesn't? But the ability to go to any dealership in the U.S. and their little computer pulls up my 103" and they just handle it no questions asked is a BIG thing to me.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:56 AM
BlackGlide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have SE Stage II 103" Big Bore kit w/ SE 255's. I can't complain, took wife on ride yesterday through some hills & twisties & bike performed flawlessly w/ plenty of low End Torque through the rpm range normally ridden. Bike is just tons more FUN since I had this kit installed. I will agree w/ earlier post Re: cams give up after 4000 RPM's, but Hey, I ain't at the Drag Strip. Bottom Line is, I would Highly Reccomend it!!!

Old 03-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Vettepro
Intermediate

I appreciate the input.
One thing I haven't noticed on this board- gearing. It would seem to me that gearing would make a hugedifference.
I actually own a late model Corvette performance shop. One of the first thngs we do on the new Vettes is swap out the rear end.
I have a supercharged 08 and the gearing made almost as much difference as the blower. (maybe a slight exageration, but you know what I mean)
Is that not a popular mod on these things?
If I wanted to do a gear change (and I do) is it best to do it iin the primary or final drive?
Thanks, Andy