Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

21" Front Tire on Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 07:45 AM
Forget About It
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 21" Front Tire on Street Glide

mine fit great but you better check the clearance i had to lowere my roadglide in the front it rode like a tricycle until i dropped the front

Old 03-23-2008, 10:03 AM
EZGOIN
5th Gear

Thanks for all the information, the photos really helped. I'm going for it, once I get it all together I'll post pic's

Old 03-23-2008, 11:34 AM
SeadogCVA43
Advanced

For you guys that have changed to 21"........didn't it affect the handling characteristics?

Old 03-23-2008, 12:43 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: SeadogCVA43

For you guys that have changed to 21"........didn't it affect the handling characteristics?
Like everything on here you'll get all kind of answers. But here's mine, I would hate to go back to stock. The bike seems to handle better to me. It turns better in the twisty stuff and just fells better all around. You will have people that say it's not good till you lower the front but I don't see a need. If 1in. makes that much difference how much different does a 6 ft rider and a 5.5 rider feel? Now if you a riding 90mph on the interstate a lot I can't tell you. IF I have the choice of interstate or backroad it won't be interstate.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:25 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Harleydog has done his usual good job of detailing the fender mod required. No big deal at all.

To your question Seadog, I've been riding a 21x18 set up for about 6 weeks now. I had it lowered 1"with a Race Tech suspension kit while having the wheels installed. I had ridden the dealers SG without lowering and it rode fine at highway speeds but felt a bit tippy to me on slow speed turn in's. As far as the handling with the 21x18's andthe 1" lowering kit, my bike rides great. For better or worse I am one who rides 90+ at highway speeds with this setup and it's well planted. It turns into curves nicely with the Metzelers on, but it does have a 21" wheel on it so for me there is a need for a bit more leaning...no big deal again because of how stable the tires feel. You might find slow speed U turns to not be quite as easy at FIRST, but again not something that is hard to get used to. Again my ride, WITH the Race Tech kit is a very pliant, sportier feel than the 16's, and you do feel a bit more of the road, but it is very subtle. I'm very picky and tend to get a little obsessive, so even though I'm riding the 21's and enjoying them a lot, I'm usually making mental notes and I'm conscious of the change. Honestly, the ride is great. You do sit up a "little" higher, but for me that is just more leaning room and floorboard clearance That also is very minimal, (bike height.)

There are two areas that I would say I don't like as much:

-Two up riding is not as plush with the extra weight, and I find the bike more of a chore to balance coming to stops and negotiating parking spots etc. The skinnier front wheel just doesn't set you as flat and secure, (the very thing however that allows you to lean into curves much more securely.) If someone told me that their riding was 50% two up and the bike was going to be used for lot's of touring, I would probably suggest 18's or stock...leaning toward stock. The ride and handling is great as we all know.

-The awesome looking matching contrast cut (non floating) rotors don't seem to work quite as well with my stock Brembo brakes and black floating HD rotors. There is a small amount of slush on occasion during stops, again mostly when riding two up and the extra weight.

I am glad I made the change. I like how it rides, and love how it looks. There are far fewer trades off's of the type you typically have in the "give something to get something" world of style modifications that even I had expected. If I had been taking my own poll a few months ago re: this topic, I would have checked the "rides as good as the stock setup" box, on an overall basis. Having said that, the reason the choice was hard for me is because I really loved the ride with the 16"'s and I'm always a bit hesitant to move away from the tried and true on things like suspension and bike balance geometry. I've always found the SG or any of the touring line to have the magic carpet ride with an uncanny sense of balance. That I did not want to disturb. My biggest fear was lowering the bike, and honestly wish I didn't have the need to. The stock suspension on the 08 was fine and I liked the rear being lower than the front, but I'm one who believes the bike really needs to be lowered in the front to get that awesome HD designed "balance" back in check. Hope this helps you or anyone else considering making the change.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:06 PM
07 desert sled
Novice

riderxxx

that was tons of good info.....nice post you just helped me out bunches.....thanks man

Old 03-24-2008, 02:30 PM
ImGlideN
Intermediate

Fish:
I really like the look of that front fender.
Where can I get ahold of one of those?

Old 03-24-2008, 02:51 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: 07 desert sled

riderxxx

that was tons of good info.....nice post you just helped me out bunches.....thanks man
Glad it helped someone!

Old 03-24-2008, 05:48 PM
glidepride
Advanced

I must have been lucky also. I did not have any issues with my front fender and I even lowered my SG 1" both front and rear. GliderXXX could not have put it better. The ride and feel is just like he said. I have an 07 so the brakes were not an issue. I put PM wheels and wentwith Metzeler tires. For the front lowering I used Progressive suspensions lowering kit and Arlen Ness on the rear. I'm happy with the look and ride. Good luck!

Old 03-24-2008, 06:08 PM
brnew
Tourer

Hey XXX, you knowI've been following your progress and we have talked (PM) several times. I have held on to my lowering kit (Race ech ) also and sounds great with the performances you describe. I have a couple of more weeks and will take back for 1000mi service. the guys there are pretty good , so I'l go with the kit. Incidently , how long will it be f indeed the wheel is rubbing before you'll see damage to fender for those that experieced it?

[quote]ORIGINAL: GliderXXX

Harleydog has done his usual good job of detailing the fender mod required. No big deal at all.

To your question Seadog, I've been riding a 21x18 set up for about 6 weeks now. I had it lowered 1"with a Race Tech suspension kit while having the wheels installed. I had ridden the dealers SG without lowering and it rode fine at highway speeds but felt a bit tippy to me on slow speed turn in's. As far as the handling with the 21x18's andthe 1" lowering kit, my bike rides great. For better or worse I am one who rides 90+ at highway speeds with this setup and it's well planted. It turns into curves nicely with the Metzelers on, but it does have a 21" wheel on it so for me there is a need for a bit more leaning...no big deal again because of how stable the tires feel. You might find slow speed U turns to not be quite as easy at FIRST, but again not something that is hard to get used to. Again my ride, WITH the Race Tech kit is a very pliant, sportier feel than the 16's, and you do feel a bit more of the road, but it is very subtle. I'm very picky and tend to get a little obsessive, so even though I'm riding the 21's and enjoying them a lot, I'm usually making mental notes and I'm conscious of the change. Honestly, the ride is great. You do sit up a "little" higher, but for me that is just more leaning room and floorboard clearance That also is very minimal, (bike height.)

There are two areas that I would say I don't like as much:

-Two up riding is not as plush with the extra weight, and I find the bike more of a chore to balance coming to stops and negotiating parking spots etc. The skinnier front wheel just doesn't set you as flat and secure, (the very thing however that allows you to lean into curves much more securely.) If someone told me that their riding was 50% two up and the bike was going to be used for lot's of touring, I would probably suggest 18's or stock...leaning toward stock. The ride and handling is great as we all know.

-The awesome looking matching contrast cut (non floating) rotors don't seem to work quite as well with my stock Brembo brakes and black floating HD rotors. There is a small amount of slush on occasion during stops, again mostly when riding two up and the extra weight.

I am glad I made the change. I like how it rides, and love how it looks. There are far fewer trades off's of the type you typically have in the "give something to get something" world of style modifications that even I had expected. If I had been taking my own poll a few months ago re: this topic, I would have checked the "rides as good as the stock setup" box, on an overall basis. Having said that, the reason the choice was hard for me is because I really loved the ride with the 16"'s and I'm always a bit hesitant to move away from the tried and true on things like suspension and bike balance geometry. I've always found the SG or any of the touring line to have the magic carpet ride with an uncanny sense of balance. That I did not want to disturb. My biggest fear was lowering the bike, and honestly wish I didn't have the need to. The stock suspension on the 08 was fine and I liked the rear being lower than the front, but I'm one who believes the bike really needs to be lowered in the front to get that awesome HD designed "balance" back

Quick Reply: 21" Front Tire on Street Glide