Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Octance booster

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 08:14 PM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Octance booster

ORIGINAL: Cryptoboy

I use a mix of corn squeezins and my ****. Runs like a top!

I run 89/91 (depending on my mood). I've run 87 several times and I haven't noticed a difference in performance, mileage, or pinging.
[sm=funnypostabove.gif] LMAO

Old 03-21-2008, 08:39 PM
da_big_Guy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Eddy G
So?? in the end. If it wasn't for the higher octane the timing wouldn't increase causing more compression without detonation and increased power.
So?????????? the octane does help increase power indirectly?
[/quote]

The compression of a motor is determined by thevolume of the cylinder and combustion chamber along with the shape of the piston, it does not change unless you or someone takes the motor apart andchanges it. The timing is typically set at the factory and left as is. With tuning you can define a more aggressivetiming curve to tweak the most out of the motor, but "out of the box" the timing is "set" to a more longetivity-friendly setting than a peak performance/more-likely-to-blow setting - they know there folks who will run cheap gas in their expensive toys and they have to safeguard against that by de-tuning. Bear in mind that too far advanced or retarded timing in a motor can cause damage. Ping/knock/detonation due to inadequate octane/cheap or badgas/increased timing can also cause damage.

Honestly, for the MARGINAL difference in the cost of premium vs other grades, it amazes me how many people will chintz out on the gas they put in their $18,000+ motorcycle or their $40,000+ car/truck. No problem paying $2.50 a beer all night (every night for a lot of folks), going out and eating out x times a week, buying chrome trinkets and a $25 t-shirt or two every trip to the dealer, etc.but by hell save that $1.00 differenceper tank of gas in your bike (ooooh - maybe $3.00 in your car!!!!!!!!!!)for a rainy day and a secure future. Hell, you'll either trade it in or get creamed by a cager on the phone before owning it long enough to see any long term issues - drain the winter gas out of the mowers and such and pour that in there too!

Personally, I use premium if the vehicle calls for it. Regular grade if not.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:12 PM
WichitaGreg
Advanced

Altitude above sea level also has an impact on octane needs. In the mountains of Colorado, all you can find is 85 regular and 87 or 89premium. My Valkyrie used regular grade, and in the high country got 15% or more mileage improvements. Have not had the Ultra up there yet.

I use mid grade in Kansas, 89 octane. Every other tank. Usually fill up at half a tank around here. When it is hot out, I use 91 octane.

I will save .20 a gallon in my $23,000 motorcycle. I don't use Harley oil in my motor either . I shoot reloads in my $2000 custom 1911, and cook $12 a pound steaks on a charcoal grill.

If your bike does not ping on 87 octane, you don't need higher octane fuel unless you tune it to require higher octane. "Premium" fuel is not better fuel, just higher octane and more expensive.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:53 PM
DZLDR
Road Warrior

wow, an organic chemist? I'm impressed
Your name wouldn't happen to be Richard Cranium would it?
ORIGINAL: Firetender

ORIGINAL: Chicago Spike

Tolulene and other additives do not raise the octane rating. Been tested and debunked many times. Your engine only needs 93, going higher does not increase performance as octane ratings have little to do with how much power is generated and more to do with how much it will delay ignition.

Tolulene will clean up the injectors and system, but too much of that will also dry out the o-rings in the system.
[sm=alcoholic.gif]

No offense intended here, but you have absoluetely no idea what you're talking about. Debunked? That's total baloney!Toluene and xylene are common industrial octane boosters in gasoline . Here on the west coast, we only have 91-octane gas available as a convenience for the refineries' needs to produce different seasonal blends of oxygenated fuels.A 30% mixture with 92 pump gas will raise your level of octane to about 98 with toluene and 99 with xylene.Off-the-shelf boosters use MMT or ferosene. Older carbon-builtup engines also gain advantages from boosting octane because the added space occupied by the deposits increases the compression ratio. Unocal's 100-octane race gas is already 25% toluene! Do notuse toluene or xylene as boosters if you have catalytic converters or O2 sensors, they can damage them.

Yes, BTW, I am an organic chemist.