Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a drivers backrest make me a wuss?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 11:41 PM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Will a drivers backrest make me a wuss?

Bill,

To heck with what others think and call you. I find most people call others a wuss out of jealously. What I mean is you and your friends ride for about 6 or 7 hours and you get off your bike feeling great they are all huncked over and moving slow. LOL who is the wuss now? I say go for it. Its your bike, your body and your $$.

Post some pics once you get it on will be good to see.

Geno

Old 02-04-2006, 12:48 AM
Moosesultra
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every cruiser style bike I've owned since I started riding 20 years ago has had a backrest with the exception of my Kawi 400. My Kawi 750 LTD ( RIP), My FXST, and my Dresser all have backrests. Corbin to be exact. My Busa doesn't because the sitting position makes it useless ( But it does have a Corbin). I don't now nor have I ever cared about what other people think about my scoot(s). If ya don't like it... don't bother me none 'cause you aren't riding it!
When i put the apes on my softail I got a lot of grief from some close friends. After a few months I finally told them to shut up and ride it around the block. Now they understand why. Put a set of 12" apes with 4" risers on a softail, extend the forward controls another 6" and couple that with a Corbin saddle and drivers backrest and you've got one comfy softail! Took delivery on my Dresser, went to a buddys house swapped out the seat, Drivers backrest and tourpack assy all from Corbin. One dang comfy road sofa! I won't ride a bike without one for more than 15 minutes. Go ahead...call me a wuss. We'll see who bitches about a sore back,legs or *** at the fuel stops...won't be me!

Old 02-04-2006, 01:03 AM
Shift_4lo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your riding a bagger so no matter what your a wuss j/k i don't really pay much attenton to those things if it will make a ride a lot more comfortable i would go for it. Expecially for you older guys i mean you don't want the wind in you hair because you don't have hair to begin with sorry i am just trying to have a good time and make fun of you older guy's at the same time.

Old 02-04-2006, 01:15 AM
higginsoft
6th Gear

I took a 2½ hour ride a couple of weekends without a backrest and my back ached for days. I just finished a 4 hour ride with a back rest and no pain whatsoever.

Old 02-04-2006, 01:41 AM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Bill918
<snip> I figure the only time I might really want a backrest is on 6 hour plus rides, although I have never had one before. I was wondering about you guys who have upgraded your seats with and without backrests. How much use do you really get out of the backrest and would you consider it a necessity?
Necessity? Not really (feels weird to ride without it on) but I really like having it on for riding short or long rides.

As far as being concerned about being a wuss with it..... I could really care less and you should too.

Old 02-04-2006, 01:45 AM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Shift_4lo

Your riding a bagger so no matter what your a wuss j/k i don't really pay much attenton to those things if it will make a ride a lot more comfortable i would go for it. Expecially for you older guys i mean you don't want the wind in you hair because you don't have hair to begin with sorry i am just trying to have a good time and make fun of you older guy's at the same time.
PFFFFFFFFFT!!

Sorry TC, I had to use it for a bit.

Old 02-04-2006, 03:54 AM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Will a drivers backrest make me a wuss?
No. But it will cause you to take longer and longer rides.

Watch out you don't get too comfortable and doze off in the seat.

Old 02-04-2006, 08:35 AM
wildpig
Banned

I had one on my Mustang seat for a Valkyrie I used to own - although I liked it (looks) it wasn't functional for me because it doesn't allow you to stretch back when you want to - keeps you at a front forward riding position and I have very long legs (over six feet tall) so it just didn't work for me.

However, I'm guessing that if I had forward controls on that bike instead of mid mounted it probably would have been fine.

Old 02-04-2006, 08:51 AM
wireman2511
Advanced

i am considering one im 5'6', question is the adjustable one worth the xtra $$. seems like once u find right adjustment u would leave it there.

Old 02-04-2006, 09:21 AM
raftgyde
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Bill918

I'm in the market for a new solo seat for my 05 RK standard. How much use do you really get out of the backrest and would you consider it a necessity?
Necessity? That's a matter of perspective. For me it is. Last April, I hurt my back (again), and couldn't stand up....but I could crawl damn good. I have 5 bulging disk, T12-L5, or soemthing like that. Picked up my Geezer Glide in July and the first accessory that went on the bike was the HD adjustable backrest. If I had it to do over again, I might have gone with a Corbin or a Mustang, but I would have definitely had a backrest, no matter what the brand. I never ride without it any more. My back feels better after a 500 mile ride now than it did after a 50 mile ride on my old Wide-Glide. wireman2511 asked if the adjustable is worth the extra money....for me, it was. I don't change it often, usually leave it all the back, but somedays, when my back is bothering me, I move it forward a little for some extra support.

AK_Hog_Herder is right, it will cause you to take longer rides.

Hope this helps a little.

Quick Reply: Will a drivers backrest make me a wuss?