Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Street Glide won't start can you help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 09:00 PM
2006streetglide
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Street Glide won't start can you help?

**SOS**

Ok guys here's the scoop. My Street Glide has been put away for the winter since November or so witht he battery out of it. I've had the battery in my basement on a Sears Craftsman battery maintainer (same concept as a battery tender Jr.) anyway, I finally finished up fixing my slipping handlebar dillemma and I put the fairing back on. Well I put the battery in and tightened the +/- cables, my factory alarm light was flashing in the speedo, I double clicked my key fob, turned the ignition on and NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I don't get lights, horn, starter nothing. However, I can arm and disarm the alarm. I can depress the tripometer button on my speedo and it will light up and display my mileage. Other than that I get no signs of life out of it.

Now I went and checked the Maxi fuse and it does not appear to be blown. The turn signals (front and rear) flash when I bump my bike when the alaram is set.

For the record, I pulled the ignition key/switch out per instructions and it snapped back in place with no problems. So where does the problem lie? Is there a procedure that needs to be done to reset the computer or alarm or something to get power to the beast? I'm pi$$ed now and I'm hoping it is nothing major.

I welcome and advice or expirience with this. Again, I get no lights, radio, fuel pump nothing except the ability to arm and disarm the alarm.

Thanks for any info you have for me.[]

Old 02-03-2006, 09:19 PM
Mike2361
Intermediate
Default RE: My Street Glide won't start can you help?

It sounds like the alarm needs to be reset....Not sure how to do that but check owner's maunual or do a search of the forums here. Sorry can't be more help

Old 02-03-2006, 09:21 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Two things come to mind. First the obvious, Check the battery with a voltmeter to make sure it's not weak.
Second, you were playing around inside the fairing, my money is on something is either shorted or open.
Just my 2 cents worth of logic!

Frank

Old 02-03-2006, 09:36 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a procedure you use for this.

It is in your owners manual and the booklet that comes with the TSSM.

Unfortunately I am at work and won't be able to lay my hands on the info until later.

But what you need to do is let the system know that the removal of the battery was OK.

Old 02-03-2006, 09:43 PM
captain_jeb
Intermediate

Stupid question but did you check the run button near the throttle; have seen others forgot to turn it to the run position.

Old 02-03-2006, 09:52 PM
2006streetglide
Road Captain

AK_Hog_Herder I believ I found that in the manual (if it pertains to the security system) and I still have no luck with it. Do you have any idea on what I should be doing that could point me in the right direction to locate this operation or sequence?

captain_jeb I've done hat before and I've learned from my mistakes. UNFORTUNATELY that isn't the problem this time.

Whar really boggles my mind is there is enough power from the battery and my lighjts flash for the alarm the LED display comes on when the trip is depressed but nothing else. Not even the fuel pump - what gives?

This is killing me.... I hope to get it fired up tonight.

Old 02-03-2006, 10:00 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On my way out the door now. I will be back in 45 minutes with book in hand.

Old 02-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dumb Question: Have you called the dealer yet?

Old 02-03-2006, 10:33 PM
2006streetglide
Road Captain

AK_Hog_Herder - Fantastic thanks!

Primo - I ran into this problem around 7pm tonight. The dealer was closed. Now I have to lay in bed tonight thinking about it all night long.....[]

Could removing and reinstalling my ignition key/lock have anything to do with it?

Old 02-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: 2006streetglide

Primo - I ran into this problem around 7pm tonight. The dealer was closed. Now I have to lay in bed tonight thinking about it all night long.....[]
Dude, Sorry about that. I'm on West Coast. Didn't even think about the possible time diff. My dealers still open if you don't mind the long distance call.

Laidlaw's H-D open 'til 7pm PST. 626-851-0412.

Primo

P.S. Why does s#!t happen right after the prime source of info/supplies has already closed?

Quick Reply: My Street Glide won't start can you help?