Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ThunderMax Firmware Update *** New ECM Installed***

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008 | 10:33 PM
sublime_ac
|
Road Master
Default RE: ThunderMax Firmware Update *** BEWARE ***

My fourth attempt and the behavior is the same... So the ECM has been removed, wrapped in bubble-pack, ready for a fed-ex box. I am convinced that a Screaming Eagle Race Tuner and a Dyno session are in the future for my scoot when I step up to the 103... I can't put my faith in this ECM after this episode...

Old 03-18-2008 | 11:37 PM
Bluetoys
Road Master

ORIGINAL: sublime_ac

My fourth attempt and the behavior is the same... So the ECM has been removed, wrapped in bubble-pack, ready for a fed-ex box. I am convinced that a Screaming Eagle Race Tuner and a Dyno session are in the future for my scoot when I step up to the 103... I can't put my faith in this ECM after this episode...
Sorry to se you are having a bit of a problem with the T-max. I bet you get it back way sooner than you think you will, like in 4 days if you ship it next day air. I also think it is either a fluke, or a bad part and will be fixed without much hassle. The Thundermax is a very intuitive device, well worth the money and discomfort from this bump in the road. Don't give up on it until you give it a chance. How did you ever decide to buy it if you are so sure of the other controller? You must have researched it and decided to buy the T-max because of what you learned.

Old 03-19-2008 | 12:17 AM
sublime_ac
|
Road Master

I decided on it because so many people stated they were happy with theirs... As I was with mine prior to this update... This update has made one thing perfectly clear, that if anything happens while I am out on a long haul I am SOL. So I have to keep my factory ECM with me plus the necessary tools to swap it out. I'd rather not deal with all of that. It's much easier to put the factory ECM back in, get a dyno tune with the SERT and keep a copy of the map on a USB flash drive. If anything happens a harley dealership could get me back on the road PDQ.

Let's see how well Zippers deals with this, but at the moment I think my perspective has been changed.

Old 03-19-2008 | 12:53 AM
Bluetoys
Road Master

I decided on it because so many people stated they were happy with theirs... As I was with mine prior to this update... This update has made one thing perfectly clear, that if anything happens while I am out on a long haul I am SOL. So I have to keep my factory ECM with me plus the necessary tools to swap it out. I'd rather not deal with all of that. It's much easier to put the factory ECM back in, get a dyno tune with the SERT and keep a copy of the map on a USB flash drive. If anything happens a harley dealership could get me back on the road PDQ.

Let's see how well Zippers deals with this, but at the moment I think my perspective has been changed.
ok.
Don't forget to take along the old narrow-band O2 sensors and the original 2 wire loom for them. Your 5 wire wide-band O2 sensors probably wont work with the stock ECM, they just send too much info for the stock ECM to understand.
My local dealer tech had written on my 5k checkup that the "piggyback system" had to be removed because it gave 43 error codes when he hooked it up. I asked what he had hooked it up to, the old ECM was at home. I don't think they had ever heard of the T-max, but they sure wanted to sell that SERT to me.
When I went back for the 7500 checkup, I saw that they were now selling the T-max. I was gonna suggest that maybe your dealer, or ones you might go to would also sell them, but on the Zipper site it states that they are illegal in CA... Oh well.
I agree with the others, you should have the working map on file and be able to just reset it to the previous configuration.
keep us posted.

Old 03-19-2008 | 07:46 AM
mcouture
Road Master

I've never watched it closely (when it's under 200 degrees) but the O2 sensors will read at 19.36 when you energize the system, then once you reach ~200 degrees then it goes into closed loop.

I did have a concern about being stranded on the road in the event of a T-Max failure. I figure at the worst case I'd have to get Zippers to overnight a new ECM to my hotel room. Not a big deal for me. I also wonder how quickly a dealer could put a new ECM and Sert on a bike ....

Anyway, sorry for your pain. Hopefully Zippers will have your ECM in your hands asap. Give us an update!

Old 03-19-2008 | 08:01 AM
rbabos
Banned

The only thing I do different from previous posts is after loading I pull the ecm fuse for a few minutes. I then put the fuse back in and then initialize.
Ron

Old 03-19-2008 | 08:12 AM
baldjohnny
Cruiser

I'm getting ready to go out on a trip and wonder about the potential of problems that aren't easily handled at a dealer because of the Tmax. It's a business trip, so am packing the laptop with the program on it, that takes one issue out of the equation. To be honest mine has beeneverything I was looking for,but I'm sort of **** in doing the "what if" scenarios when I get ready to venture out on the highway. Never made the Boy Scouts, but that Cub Scout training was excellent....

I upgraded the firmware and had no issues, so sorry to hear the electronic heebie-jeebies are screwing with you. I tend to agree with the others about giving a new module a try, might be something as simple as a defective unit(that can apply to anything you buy, including HD gear)and all your problems go away. Then again, you're the one that's had to hassle with it and know your limits of patience. Keep us informed, it's good to hear of problems in case something similar happens to anyone else on the board.Good luck!

Old 03-19-2008 | 09:30 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

I was a little nervous when I installed my T-Max just prior to leaving for Sturgis. Really considered taking my stock ECM and sensors with me "just in case" (but didn't). Now, 9,000 trouble free miles later, I'm reasonably comfortable that it's AT LEAST as stable as the OEM ECM.

Old 03-19-2008 | 09:48 AM
baldjohnny
Cruiser

I'm with stro1965, not gonna pack a lot of stuff just in case it goes **** up. Doesn't mean I didn't consider it, but so far it has been problem free and a great upgrade IMHO. I will have my laptop which will help withsome problems (if there areany), but the only reason I'm taking it is because I need it for my trip. Only going a couple of thousand miles round trip, but a great proving period for the changes I've done.

Might bite me, doubtful if it will. If I was that worried about it would have gone back to stock, just not worth sweating it every mile. I'm actually pretty hype'd about going on the trip, first "long" trip with this bike, with everything running the way it is it should make my old Evoa fond memory of the past. Got a sound system now, don't have to pack the AM/FM transistor radio & ear plugin my coat pocket anymore!

Old 03-19-2008 | 09:56 AM
bigdoghd
Road Master

We have been pretty much been only installing the T-Max and have had no problems at all. Any issues that we have had were taken care of by there tech department. If you can afford it maybe taking it to one of there dealers might be the answer. Between human error, software issue or even a possible vacuum leak?

Quick Reply: ThunderMax Firmware Update *** New ECM Installed***