Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ThunderMax Firmware Update *** New ECM Installed***

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008 | 08:30 PM
indaupeh
Cruiser
Default RE: ThunderMax Firmware Update *** BEWARE ***

wow

Old 03-18-2008 | 08:40 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: sublime_ac

Did you do IAC Auto? Or not..
DO NOT run the IAC Auto function. You WILL have issues then.[sm=noooo.gif]

Old 03-18-2008 | 08:42 PM
sublime_ac
|
Road Master

I have not ran it yet... Like I said, the manual says not to, but I have seen conflicting reports online about others who have ran it on their '07s.... Ugghhh.. I just wanna ride.. Isn't that why I bought a self-tuning system? I should video tape the whole process and post it on youtube.

Old 03-18-2008 | 08:49 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

Tech Support for ThunderMax

If you have problems associated with your ThunderMax, there is a good possibility that the module firmware or a file(s) has become corrupt during the installation or tuning processes. The following procedures should be followed before the unit is sent back for testing. These processes will fully re-program the ThunderMax and clear any learned changes the system may have stored. You must have the latest firmware file on hand to do this, and should be running the latest version software. Updating the firmware and software requires an internet connection.

First, check to see that you are running the latest version of the software. From the toolbar, click [Configure] [SmartLink Update] [Check]. The system will inform you if a later version is available. If so, download and install the software update (follow on-screen prompts).

Second, to verify that you have the latest firmware stored within your SmartLink program for transfer to your ThunderMax, follow these steps: Click [Configure] on the toolbar, then [Firmware] [Check for Firmware Upgrade]. Highlight the Latest Version and click [OK] (firmware file is downloaded).

You are now ready to fully re-program your ThunderMax. You must be linked to the module to perform these steps. Close any open programs on your computer except SmartLink. If any of these processes are interrupted for any reason, start over at Step 1.

1. Clear the Diagnostic Trouble Codes. From the Tuning Tree, click
[Module Configuration] [Diagnostic Codes] [Clear Diagnostic Codes].

2. Clear learned fuel and IAC adjustments. From the toolbar, click
[Map Editing] [Clear “Learned Fuel Adjustments (CLP Offset”] [ Clear “Learned Idle Control Adjustments (IAC)”]

3. Reload the Module Firmware. From the toolbar, click [Configure] [Firmware] [ Upgrade Module Firmware Now] (follow prompts exactly).

4. Reload a best-match map. Update your module base maps library by clicking from the toolbar [EFI Maps] [EFI Map Listings / Definitions] [Update Definition File]. Follow steps 3-6 in the Installation / Setup Guide V2007.05.31 to load a new base map (available from
http://www.thunder-max.com/Support/I...onManuals.aspx if you don’t have your original version).

5. Confirm Module Settings of speedometer calibration ([Module Configuration] [Basic Settings] [Write Basic Settings] from the Tuning Tree) and AutoTune settings from the toolbar [Configure] [Closed Loop Module Settings]. Ensure that all four boxes are checked in the [Closed Loop Processing] and [AutoTune] commands (follow step 7 in the Installation / Setup Guide V2007.05.31).

6. Initialize the ThunderMax system and evaluate with a road test.

Generally, firmware or file glitches are caused by a sequence of events that can range from something as simple as a cross-keying the keyboard to installation of the components in in-correct order. Our experience has shown that the majority of issues can be solved by the above “clean sheet” approach. If the above steps don’t cure your issue, please contact us at
ProductSupport@ZippersPerformance.com. Thanks for purchasing ThunderMax Products

Here is the EXACT routine that I would do each and every time I would change something with my TMax when I had it. I followed these instructions to a "T" and never had an issue.

Old 03-18-2008 | 08:54 PM
sublime_ac
|
Road Master

This is the procedure that I used, in fact I got it from one of your earlier posts.. Step 6, initialize the ThunderMax and road test is where I have the question. I take this as

A. Perform the initialize function, cycle on for 30 seconds, off for 30 seconds three times
B. Start the bike with the computer hooked up and monitoring and let heat cycle to 289 degrees
C. Power off bike, disconnect the computer, button up side cover / bag and ride

Am I missing anything right here?

Old 03-18-2008 | 09:00 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: sublime_ac

This is the procedure that I used, in fact I got it from one of your earlier posts.. Step 6, initialize the ThunderMax and road test is where I have the question. I take this as

A. Perform the initialize function, cycle on for 30 seconds, off for 30 seconds three times
B. Start the bike with the computer hooked up and monitoring and let heat cycle to 289 degrees
C. Power off bike, disconnect the computer, button up side cover / bag and ride

Am I missing anything right here?
Nope, spot on. RMA(Return Merchandise Authorization) seems inevitable.

Old 03-18-2008 | 09:03 PM
sublime_ac
|
Road Master

Well... The bike should be cool when I get back home.. I am going to give it one last try tonight. If it fails I am going to pull the computer and send it out tomorrow. At least they say I don't need to send the AutoTune portion in...

Old 03-18-2008 | 09:16 PM
BOARGAURD
Road Master

I am with Karl on this, if it was working properly before then start over. You can put a box fan next to the motor to cool it off between start ups. Phil and I determined that the bike could be around 107 degrees temp to start a cold learning for the IAC. Hook up to your computer and monitor/link without it running and watch the temp drop on the heads.
Been there and done that. After sending my Tmax back in it seems that the IAC had backed out of adjustment. This may or may not be the problem but check it out. There was another member who had their bike in for the same problem on the IAC adjustment on his 07 months ago. This is where I learned about it and fixed the problem with the help of Karl and Phil. Don't just throw it out yet, this is part of the learning curve, seems nothing is easy anymore.

Old 03-18-2008 | 10:02 PM
sublime_ac
|
Road Master

Hey thanks for all the help... I am running through the initialization cycle right now... How'd you fix the IAC issue?

Old 03-18-2008 | 10:04 PM
sublime_ac
|
Road Master

Look how far out of range my AFR is... Never seen this behavior before the update...

[IMG]local://upfiles/45082/0F7A42025FEB4340B7C426F3CA218754.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: ThunderMax Firmware Update *** New ECM Installed***