Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ThunderMax Firmware Update *** New ECM Installed***

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008 | 05:59 PM
rbabos
Banned
Default RE: ThunderMax Firmware Update *** BEWARE ***

ORIGINAL: sublime_ac

I followed the update procedure to a T.. Resetting the learned offset IAC etc.

I could put the stock ECU back in, but my bike would run a bit lean with the aftermarket pipes / intake...

Honestly I think the best route is the stock ECU / Race-TUner with a Dyno tune... If you can keep a copy of your map on a USB drive you are good to go wherever you're at if the stock ECU bytes the dust.
Did you write the update to the module when you finished the update? If you forget that part it will go nuts.
Ron

Old 03-18-2008 | 06:09 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

Hate to hear that..... I can only imagine it's incredibly frustrating.

Old 03-18-2008 | 06:26 PM
kdietz
Road Captain

No offense, but I bet it's user error!....I've been there If it was working before the upgrade it should work fine with the upgrade.

Your symptoms resemble IAC problems due to incorrectly deleting IAC learned offsets, new map loading and/or reinitializing the module and IAC learning

Try again with a cold bike....load the new firmware per the instructions....load the new map....clear all fuel and IAC offsets....reinitialize the module and do the IAC learning to 285 degrees

Good Luck

Old 03-18-2008 | 06:40 PM
sublime_ac
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: kdietz

No offense, but I bet it's user error!....I've been there If it was working before the upgrade it should work fine with the upgrade.

Your symptoms resemble IAC problems due to incorrectly deleting IAC learned offsets, new map loading and/or reinitializing the module and IAC learning

Try again with a cold bike....load the new firmware per the instructions....load the new map....clear all fuel and IAC offsets....reinitialize the module and do the IAC learning to 285 degrees

Good Luck
You know, that's what I figured as well, but I have been through this three times now.. Thefrustrating part is it takes six hours between attempts due to the need for a cold engine... Trust me, I have cleared the IAC, Learned Offsets, re-initialized the module (3x off/on 30 sec intervals) etc. and this thing is freakin' out.

Old 03-18-2008 | 06:42 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

I know of several owners that have had to send their TMax's back in for some sorta issue(s)....

Old 03-18-2008 | 06:49 PM
rbabos
Banned

ORIGINAL: bigirn

how did you come to find outabout the update ?

[IMG]local://upfiles/47706/C8DF466B3934449FBE594EE1F76401E1.jpg[/IMG]
This is old news in the tuner part of this forum. You bagger guys need to expand out of the touring section more
Update can be done Tmax site.Or you can do it from the Smarlink software by clicking on Configure, Firmware ,Firmware update. A file will be downloaded via internet and saved in firmware updates of smartlink.
Ron

Old 03-18-2008 | 06:51 PM
sublime_ac
|
Road Master

The instructions clearly state not to run IAC Auto on 2006-2007 bikes... I haven't ran it, but I am running the initializiation, cold start, run to 289 degrees....

Am I supposed to write the file back to the module after this or just shutdown and ride when complete? Instructions aren't exactly clear on this final step.

Old 03-18-2008 | 07:00 PM
rbabos
Banned

ORIGINAL: sublime_ac

The instructions clearly state not to run IAC Auto on 2006-2007 bikes... I haven't ran it, but I am running the initializiation, cold start, run to 289 degrees....

Am I supposed to write the file back to the module after this or just shutdown and ride when complete? Instructions aren't exactly clear on this final step.
I would write the map and updated firmware back at this stage before initializing it. The IAC auto can be used to speed the learning offsets but I would not use it for now. Clear all learned offsets before writing anything back so you start with a clean slate. In the pdf there is a warning about must be written to module after firmware update is done or engine will not run right. More or less to that effect.
Ron

Old 03-18-2008 | 07:11 PM
mcouture
Road Master

I just updated to 4.6 firmware and did it like this:

1.) download firmware to PC via software
2.) linked to bike
3.) initiated upload of firmware to bike
a.) once firmware upload starts - shutoff bike and turn on
b.) once bike is turned back on the firmware upgrade process resumes
4.) upon firmware update I needed to write my map back to the ECM
5.) initialize ECM (3ons/offs)
6.) learn IAC
7.) Done

* this is from my memory there could be some minor differences in what really happened.

I re-did the IAC (idling up to 289'ish) just to be sure.....

You symptoms really sounds like either a IAC learning thing gone bad or a physical problem on the bike (either the ECM or on the intake system).

I know this doesn't help you but we're supposed to get snow tomorrow so I can't ride even if I wanted to!

I'd check the physical things on the bike since you seem to have done the right things on the software side...... let us know what turns up!

Old 03-18-2008 | 08:28 PM
sublime_ac
|
Road Master

Did you do IAC Auto? Or not..

Quick Reply: ThunderMax Firmware Update *** New ECM Installed***