Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW VENTED LOWER FAIRINGS

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006 | 10:56 PM
100yrfatboy
|
Road Captain
Default NEW VENTED LOWER FAIRINGS

How many of you out there have gotten to ride your new Ultras in the heat to let me know if the vents in the newer lowers really work to keep you cooler. I have a buddy with an 03, he has taken his off and installed running lights, onto his engine guards that really light up the road at night. I haven't had it, long enough to know yet. Thanks, Gene

Old 02-02-2006 | 11:28 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Default RE: NEW VENTED LOWER FAIRINGS

I put the vented lowers on my 05 EG for the winter and then bought the UC. They were great! I live in the mountains and rode with them closed up here, when i went down the hill into the warmer weather I would open them as the warmth progressed. Fully open it was like they almost wernt there. I highly recomend them!

Old 02-02-2006 | 11:54 PM
MACK
Road Warrior

too bad your friend is not a true ultra rider. The ultra gods do not look kindly on riders taking off tour paks or lower fairing. No true Ultra rider would ever do that. Look up the word ULTRA. I know you know what it means but you will come away with a different attitude once you see the definition in print. It really is a special bike and I hate to see people disrespect its image.

Old 02-03-2006 | 01:13 AM
05 Ultra
Road Master

Maybe its just me but I find the lowers don't do much at speed. If your moving, your good. In traffic, well they're better then the old style. VERY good at keeping the rain off your boots and lower legs. All though they seem to contribute to water "floatation" I call it. Rain dribbles off the top of the lowers and the negative pressure behind the fairing sucks the drops up and in front of you. I have to put a face shield on just to be able to see in a downpour. But would I take them off?
Never! Just ranting a bit
Oh. And have you ever seen a Winger after a rain? They have nothing like our lowers and they're soaked from the waist down. [sm=yikesomg.gif]

Old 02-03-2006 | 02:37 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Since we're on the subject.....

Those of you with lowers..........how are they in the rain?
I am considering getting a pair of color-matched, vented lowers for my RK. The major reason is to get better protection from the knees down. I want to eliminate having to drag along a pair of waterproof boots and a full face helmet for crappy weather. They take up too valuable a space.....I have no idea where all of you that tour two-up stow everything. Must travel pretty light.

While we're at it.........I read here once that someone removed their oil cooler when he installed his lowers. (just coincidentally I trust)
Surely the two can co-exist peacefully on the same bike?

CN

Old 02-03-2006 | 02:41 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Sheeesh...

I completely missed the hour old post prior to mine that told me all I needed. IDIOT!!!! ( what's the stupid teen movie that's from again?)

Old 02-03-2006 | 03:57 AM
Viking
Intermediate
Default RE: Sheeesh...

I love the lowers on my UC!! No problem getting air in the heat with them open and with them closed they seem to keep you a little more comfortable in the cool. I also found that when I come in to a really bad rain storm at highway speed I don't get wet at all!! When I had my wing I would get nothing but soaked.

Old 02-03-2006 | 04:45 AM
100yrfatboy
|
Road Captain
Default RE: Sheeesh...

Thank you all for the great insight. I will be leaving them on for now! Thanks, Gene

Old 02-03-2006 | 09:22 AM
msbhvn
Cruiser

I found that when riding in colder weather it worked best to still open them a little to draw the engine heat across you.

Old 02-03-2006 | 04:55 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member

They are nice in the cooler weather. I did not take delivery on my Ultra until Sep. 1 (that's toward the end of the riding season here).

I noticed that I get what I call "water pixies" in the rain. The water will collect on top of the fuel tank and raise up in a small whirl on both sides of the tank near the front.

I suppose I could slow down.

I have looked at the moveable vents and decided that I would not recommend adjusting them while moving. But I have an idea for a non-electric thermostatic linkage that would adjust them continuously in and out based on airtemp measured near the engine.

Quick Reply: NEW VENTED LOWER FAIRINGS