Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW VENTED LOWER FAIRINGS

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006 | 05:46 PM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Default RE: NEW VENTED LOWER FAIRINGS

ORIGINAL: AK_Hog_Herder

I noticed that I get what I call "water pixies" in the rain. The water will collect on top of the fuel tank and raise up in a small whirl on both sides of the tank near the front.

I suppose I could slow down.

Water pixies! Thats what they are!LMAO!! Anyway I installed the front Air Baffle (#58520-79TC) that USED to come on the Ultras. Stops a lotta the wind coming up over the tank I've noticed. Haven't gotten to use it in the rain yet.

Old 02-03-2006 | 06:19 PM
sedbiker62
Road Captain

Picked up my UC on the 4th of Jan. I can't tell you much about warm weather, but compared to being without lowers, (traded 04 Road King Custom) the lowers have extended my riding temp range to comfortable in the mid 30's for those 100 mile rides. I've got 1100 + miles on the clock....In January!!!!!![8D]

Old 02-03-2006 | 06:59 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 05 Ultra

I noticed that I get what I call "water pixies" in the rain. The water will collect on top of the fuel tank and raise up in a small whirl on both sides of the tank near the front.

Water pixies! Thats what they are!LMAO!! Anyway I installed the front Air Baffle (#58520-79TC) that USED to come on the Ultras. Stops a lotta the wind coming up over the tank I've noticed. Haven't gotten to use it in the rain yet.

I have looked at that, but would like to get the flat black one that comes on Road Glides. I think the chrome would look out of place in that area on my Black Cherry Ultra. All I need is someone to distract my buddy Bob and 5 minutes.

Old 02-03-2006 | 07:21 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior

Gene:

My $.02 worth is that it really depends on the part of the country you are from -- or that you ride in regularly. Here along the Gulf Coast, the lowers aren't needed for much of the year. In fact, we need all the air circulation we can get (most of the time) and taking off the lowers helps to accomplish that. Yes, HD modified the lowers with vents that open, but my experience is that they sometimes vibrate closed. With lowers and the little "wings" on the bottom sides of the fairing removed, we get all the air flow necessary to keep us ventilated. Next move is to have a the windshield replaced with a shorter version.

The flexibility to add / remove these parts depending on the ride environment is what makes the bike superior to those that have all the pieces hard-molded and fixed in place -- like the 'Wing.

Old 02-03-2006 | 07:42 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Since we're on the subject.....

ORIGINAL: Comfortably Numb

Those of you with lowers..........how are they in the rain?
<snip>

CN
Dude, I think we are up to 107 days without rain here in Phx. When it rains, I'll be able to answer that question.

Old 02-03-2006 | 10:22 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

I can not waite until I get a set for my RK!

I've riden in enough cold and rain to know I want a set.

It would also help complement the entire theme of my bike to look more like an "Ultra Road King"

Anyone that has taken a set off and wants to get rid of them PM me please!

Old 02-04-2006 | 12:58 AM
Moosesultra
Cruiser

I ride with the lowers on during the winter ( 50 degrees and below) and on days i know it's going to rain. I don't even have to wear chaps until the weather drops under 35 and in Florida that doesn't happen very often! During the summer or on warmer winter days (50+) they stay at home. Perhaps I'll get the 06 style that allows you to open the vents so i can save the 10 minutes of installation / removal. my .02
Have a well weathered 1
Moose

Old 02-04-2006 | 11:47 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 05 Ultra

58520-79A is the part number for the flat black one that is standard on the Road Glide.