Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on back firing

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:40 PM
Fish Slapper
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on back firing

I have noticed recently that my 2007 RK seems to back fire more often when I let off the throttle and also when I start it up, sometimes it cranks right away, sometimes it has to turn over several times, today it turned over several times then back fired, then after turning it over several more times it fired up, the bike has a little under 10 k on it, any ideas or does this seem normal? it seems to have normal power and is running fine, it has stage one and true dual Reinharts installed.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Yokel99
Cruiser
Default RE: Question on back firing

I run the same setup and get the odd backfire when it's cold (35 degrees or less). No issues when it's warmer outside

Old 03-17-2008, 08:47 PM
ezlife
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Backfire or decel popping?
What fuel management system?
Lean on zero throttle.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Fish Slapper
Intermediate

It was colder out today when I fired it up, probably just a fluke, just seems to take longer to crank recently.

I have the Pc III, and it is more of a deceleration pop but it just seems more often lately or different, I am probably just hearing things!

Old 03-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Andy Engemann
Tourer

Make sure that your muffler clamps are sealed tight. I have read several posts suggesting that muffler clamps that are not tight will cause backfiring, especially on decel. The muffler clamps that come with some systems (especially V&H) are not always able to seal as effectively as the original equipment clamps. Just a thought!

Andy

Old 03-17-2008, 09:18 PM
ezlife
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Andy Engemann

Make sure that your muffler clamps are sealed tight. I have read several posts suggesting that muffler clamps that are not tight will cause backfiring, especially on decel. The muffler clamps that come with some systems (especially V&H) are not always able to seal as effectively as the original equipment clamps. Just a thought!

Andy
+ check your map, you may want to richen up zero throttle position values in map. I've added fuel, anywhere from 5-20, between 1000-4000 rpms. No more popping.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:36 PM
skltr
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: ezlife

Andy
+ check your map, you may want to richen up zero throttle position values in map. I've added fuel, anywhere from 5-20, between 1000-4000 rpms. No more popping.
+1

Old 03-17-2008, 09:44 PM
02ULTRA
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: skltr

ORIGINAL: ezlife

Andy

+1

+2!!