Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polishing them Lower Legs

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008 | 11:28 PM
wallybally
|
Intermediate
Default Polishing them Lower Legs

I recently bought a bro's 1991 FLHTC. High mileage bike but with a rebuilt motor by local legend Bill Bailey. Been going thru it little by little and its lookin pretty good. Question? The lower legs on the front forks are pitted some but mostly just oxidized from 93+k miles. And ideas as to how to and what to use on them to polish em up some??
Wallybally

Old 03-16-2008 | 11:53 PM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Default RE: Polishing them Lower Legs

Do a search...

Someone posted a 'how to' about a year or so ago with his version... I seem to recall it took like 4 different grits of sandpaper...some good metal pollish - and a 6-pack of beer.

He was pleased with the results - but I image it took a fair amount of upkeep once the weather got to working on them.

Old 03-16-2008 | 11:58 PM
CREEPSHOW
Road Warrior
Default RE: Polishing them Lower Legs

People are going to tell you to go chrome
I have used alot of polish out there and most is a cream that really just cleans the metal and takes a lot of elbow grease to do anything to older finishes. I found Mothers billet metal polish in a can to do amazing work. Has a little grit in it. Had a old set of slot mag car wheelswe tried this stuff on and I was amazed how well it worked. I use it all the time!
Now mothers makes this http://www.properautocare.com/mopopo.htmland I haven't tried it yet but supposed to be better than the other...??
Here is a before and after picture of the back side of a licence plate off an old car I used Mothers Billet.