Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cops and loud pipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008 | 02:01 PM
hdwd2000
Road Master
Default RE: cops and loud pipes

been stopped once for loud pipes. And I run drags on my dyna.GOing on four years with them.

Old 03-18-2008 | 02:44 PM
BigGeorge
Road Captain

I ran straight pipes on my softail for 12 years. That bike was loud. So loud that none of my friends would ever ride on the right side of me. I never got stopped because I was careful. If I seen a cop I would pull in the clutch and just let the engine idle down and coast past him. If he pulled in behind me I would keep the bike in what ever gear matched to the throttle that would keep the RPM's down. I lived in a residential neighborhood at the time and none of my neighbors ever complained. If I came home late at night I would "button off" and coast down the street to my driveway. If I had to leave early in the morning I would push the bike out to the streetbefore starting it and not leave it sitting there idling rattling the neighbors windows.
Now I live in the country, very ruralwhere I can make all the noise I want and I just bought a Fat Cat with the Quite baffle for my bike, go figure..................BG

Old 03-18-2008 | 02:56 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member

Been with my agency for 15 years........spent 9 or so of those years in the traffic enforcement unit. During that time, I only stopped one bike........a zip-splat I had at more than 20 over, while ridin a wheelie. Most........MOST LEO's wo't mess with ya unless you are either going out of your way to attract attention to yourself, OR, they have been put on some assignment to target certain areas, certain violations, etc etc.

Old 03-18-2008 | 03:13 PM
BlackBagger
Cruiser

Some well said advice in these posts.

Let me only add one thing to my all my brother LEOs posts...

If Common Sense was common, everyone would have it.

Thats my 27 years and still going observation.

Mike

Old 03-18-2008 | 07:00 PM
RK#1
|
Advanced

thx for all the super replys,although I live in canada I supose the boys in blue are equally fair. Thx again.

Old 03-18-2008 | 07:47 PM
avcaruso
Road Captain

About 10 years ago I leave my house in the city to meet with my buds for our Wed. night of riding. I had just put on a set of Python 2's and they sounded great. I hit an access road which runs parallel to a main drag and get to about 65 (in a 30 or 35 zone) and next to me comes a cop in a cruiser out of nowhere. I slow down and he is on the left side of me running along side of me. He gives me a couple open fist hand signal's indicating I am going over 55 and too slow down, and away he goes.

I was asking for a ticket and did not get one, he gave me a break. All me and I apprecaited the pass he gave me.

I am now older and wiser (kinda), and over these last 10 years have passed many a police cruiser with loud pipes going the speed limit or slightly over and have never been stopped.

I now live in a very rural area of New York. A couple of years ago, I got of the freeway to run about a 2 mile stretch to my road. I really like to take it up through the gears on this stretch being rural and all. As I get off the highway and turn left I see a triple set of lights in my mirrors a distance back, knowing it is an HD. So, I make the turn and roll through the gearspulling some nice rev's before shifting to let my rider friend behind me enjoy it.He keeps his distance but keeps up. As I slow to make my right hand turn, I see it is a NYS State Trooper giving me a cool wave as he sails by!

Old 03-18-2008 | 09:51 PM
Sarg
Advanced

Got a news flash for ya, most of the Motorcops I rode with and knew punched there baffles to get more performance. They just don't go around flaunting it or revving it up for no reason. Most cops are reasonable as long as your not showing your a#### and ya treat them with respect like you would anyone else.