Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cops and loud pipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008 | 07:52 PM
CCPD
Cruiser
Default RE: cops and loud pipes

I've been a cop for 7 years and have only stopped one motorcycle and that was because he was doing a wheelie thru an activeschool zone. Unless your acting a foolorIrecievea citizen complainton you (I call it the"**** off your neighbor syndrom")you will get a passfrom me.

Chris

Old 03-17-2008 | 08:01 PM
CCPD
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Hog71boy

I stopped at a check point attended bythe Oklahomahighway patrol. I kept the bike as quiet as possible but the patrolman said I had illegal exhaust. He said it had to have a muffler. I pointed out it had baffles but he said that didn't count. He issued me a warning and said I probably wouldn't run into him again since we were deep in rural North Central Oklahoma.

I was glad I didn't get a ticket but didn't understand the need to ticket me when I was keeping the bike semi quiet and was very respectful. I guess he felt it was his duty.
If his supervisors are anything like mine they like to see that we are out working. If we come in with paperwork (reports, tickets, warnings) to show we did something for the day and not sit on our bums then they are happy. We are not required to write tickets, but it makes our presence felt which can reduce crime in an area. I will write warnings for the small stuff, but once you start speeding, running stop signs orlights, etc then your going to get a ticket and not a warning. You got a warning and that is nothing but a piece of paper with your name on it. It doesn't go against your driving record it only goes into the department records.

Chris

Old 03-17-2008 | 08:10 PM
07street
Tourer

I have Rinehart True Duals and only pulled over once. It was my fault because I was be a dumb ***. The police officer was cool, he just told me to be more thoughtful to others and keep the noise down. He also told the bike sounded great.

Old 03-17-2008 | 08:25 PM
HogBack
Road Master

Ditto on what everyone says on this one.... been on a bike since '65 and never have been pulled over for pipes....in fact, never been pulled over on my bike, so the law has been very good not to try to be tough on bikes. I have, however, at times not been paying attention and running a little faster than I should andthought a few times the speed + pipes would get mesomeones' attention..., but I have gracefully been able to roll back and get remind myself tonot push my luck...

Hogback

Old 03-17-2008 | 08:26 PM
HogBack
Road Master

P.S. Now run Rush 1.75s on the RK and baffled drag pipes on the shovel....

Hogback

Old 03-17-2008 | 08:35 PM
Yokel99
Cruiser

Was loping through a residential neighborhood on Saturday and a basketball rolled out in front of me. I slammed the brakes expecting a kid to follow and when the road was clear again I started to pull away. I was in 3rd gear when I stopped and forgot to downshift before starting out again. The Rineharts barked a bit as I was feeling for 1st and 20 ft later, was motioned over by a cop running a radar setup - s**t. Turns out the cop had just bought a SG, liked the sound of the TDs and wanted to know what I was running. Other than that, I've never been stopped.

Old 03-18-2008 | 11:56 AM
wjg00tj
Intermediate

As a city cop around the Metro Indy area I can tell you that you have to EARN the ticket around here. When most of us are working the streets and we hear a loud bike go by we don't care about the noise. We are just upset we are working and not out riding!

Old 03-18-2008 | 12:00 PM
nsodpty52
Tourer

I've been stopped once and I'm in the business. It was by a motor cop that just loves to mess with bikes. other than him around where I am bikes get left alone. Unless you are a throttle jockey in some quiet neighborhood. I've been stopped for my stereo several times though.

Old 03-18-2008 | 12:53 PM
maxum96
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: wjg00tj

As a city cop around the Metro Indy area I can tell you that you have to EARN the ticket around here. When most of us are working the streets and we hear a loud bike go by we don't care about the noise. We are just upset we are working and not out riding!

Ain't that the truth!

Old 03-18-2008 | 01:01 PM
maxum96
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Northside

Loud pipe ordinances are nearly impossible to enforce. ALL laws and ordinances have standards, in this case db levels at a given distance. The cop has to prove you exceeded a db level set in that law. They can't prove anything without a db meter. I ride through Denver all the time and it has a set level but the cops don't have db meters so they leave you alone.
Sorry my friend, not true. I'm a cop here in Colorado (although not in Denver). According to Colorado state law 42-4-225(Mufflers-prevention of noise),

"No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle"

There is absolutely no mention of a db level in the statue. And Denver municipal law can not override state law. While I have never written a biker a muffler ticket, I write it to the kids with the coffee can mufflers all the time. I don't have a db meter at work and never have. It's not hard to prove. I've never lost in court on a muffler ticket.

Quick Reply: cops and loud pipes