Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cops and loud pipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008 | 03:13 PM
kdiman
Advanced
Default RE: cops and loud pipes

On my old bike. When i first bought it, it was a Kawasaki Vulcan 800 with Hard Krome pipes. I worked until 11 pm and i stopped at the gas station on the way home and they ran my plates, i am guessing b/c of the load pipes. But they never stopped me. I had a friend listening to the scanner when they ran my plates. the funny thing is that the plates were for the KLR 650 that i just traded in.

Kelly

Old 03-17-2008 | 03:25 PM
rome304
Road Warrior

yeah live in long beach california and all my boys have thunderheaders i roll vance and hines ovals not a problem unlessi hit the throttle way to hard.

Old 03-17-2008 | 03:29 PM
Lroberts4
Tourer

I will have to agree never been cited for loud pipes, however I have not gone "out of my way" to ask for a ticket. You should be fine yours are quiter than some, just wait till out on the open road to make her sing!
Whoohoo 100 posts!

Old 03-17-2008 | 03:29 PM
TN Houndog
Outstanding HDF Member

Most of the time if you aren't acting like an *** and WAY out of line MOST LEO's won't bother you and if you DO get pulled over, if you talk decent you'll usually get off with a minor *** chewing and a warning. I've got 2 LEO friends that tell "war stories" all the time about somebody that talked themselves into a ticket. Treating everybody the way you want to be treated goes a LONG way! It'd be to everybody's benefit if we all practiced that.

Old 03-17-2008 | 03:45 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member

Many yrs ago, I was riding my pan chopper and as usual when I got to the edge of town, a wide open stretch, I hit it good but the cop busted me for loud pipes. Just a warning so I got back to the shop and found a pair of VW baffles that I had to pound into the upswept pipes. Good tight fit.
On that same stretch going out of town, I again get on it good and everything was fine. As I passed the cop sitting there, "Boom" the inards of both baffles just blew out, there was mesh wire hanging out of the ends ofthe pipes when the officer issued the real ticket.[:@]

Old 03-17-2008 | 04:27 PM
jbob
Cruiser

Was a motor officer in a large midwestern city. Most LEOs are more concerned with traffic violations such as excessive speed (crotchrockets) than the sound of a v-twin. Use common sense and you won't have any worries. Like one of the posts says " don't draw attention to yourself " and enjoy the ride.

Old 03-17-2008 | 05:20 PM
jack49
Road Captain

No problems in N.H. if you use common sence,unless you are in the town
of Hampton. Beach cops in Hampton will put the meter on you and issue a
ticket, with no provocation.

Old 03-17-2008 | 05:35 PM
Xtreme Hawg
Elite HDF Member

When I worked the road andassigned to the traffictraffic unit, I never bothered bikes unless they gave me a reason to and even then it was very rare, however there's a lot of good comments above and most say the same thing "use your common sense". You get out there and bring attention to yourselfby showing your ***,revving it up or romping down on it, then yeah you'll probably stand a better chance of getting stopped. Just my 2 cents... "D"

Old 03-17-2008 | 06:06 PM
Northside
Road Warrior

Loud pipe ordinances are nearly impossible to enforce. ALL laws and ordinances have standards, in this case db levels at a given distance. The cop has to prove you exceeded a db level set in that law. They can't prove anything without a db meter. I ride through Denver all the time and it has a set level but the cops don't have db meters so they leave you alone. If you act stupid you'll get a ticket, because they know you are stupid and will probably just pay the ticket.

Old 03-17-2008 | 07:09 PM
Hog71boy
Advanced

I stopped at a check point attended bythe Oklahomahighway patrol. I kept the bike as quiet as possible but the patrolman said I had illegal exhaust. He said it had to have a muffler. I pointed out it had baffles but he said that didn't count. He issued me a warning and said I probably wouldn't run into him again since we were deep in rural North Central Oklahoma.

I was glad I didn't get a ticket but didn't understand the need to ticket me when I was keeping the bike semi quiet and was very respectful. I guess he felt it was his duty.

Quick Reply: cops and loud pipes