Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cops and loud pipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008 | 05:14 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Default RE: cops and loud pipes

During my entire career as a Jersey Trooper (I retired in '91), I never pulled over a motorcycle for "loud pipes." Ever.

The only situation I can think of that would have caused me to is if a rider had been stupid enough to "ask" for a ticket via some jackass behavior.

Old 03-17-2008 | 05:15 AM
2fas4u2
Intermediate

we have a historic old town district that is a hot spot for tourists...a great post up spot for all the harleys...great for business and loved by the tourists/locals...however there is always a police presence to help keep an irresponsible few in check with the loud pipes usually the out of towners...just today one of these irresponsible individuals was leavin the area withexcessively loud stereo and pipes (great combo, eh?)...anyway a cop issues a warning over the PA speaker for everyone to hear but directed at this particular individual toturn down the music and to lay off the throttle (rapping on it hard)...this guy stares down the cop as he passes by, makes a turn and stops looking back at the cop, then hits it hard on the throttle...cops flip a u-turn and well you know what happened then...

Old 03-17-2008 | 05:19 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior

A classic example of "asking" for a ticket with a side order of ***-chewing.

Old 03-17-2008 | 05:32 AM
Andy Engemann
Tourer

ORIGINAL: 2fas4u2

we have a historic old town district that is a hot spot for tourists...a great post up spot for all the harleys...great for business and loved by the tourists/locals...however there is always a police presence to help keep an irresponsible few in check with the loud pipes usually the out of towners...just today one of these irresponsible individuals was leavin the area withexcessively loud stereo and pipes (great combo, eh?)...anyway a cop issues a warning over the PA speaker for everyone to hear but directed at this particular individual toturn down the music and to lay off the throttle (rapping on it hard)...this guy stares down the cop as he passes by, makes a turn and stops looking back at the cop, then hits it hard on the throttle...cops flip a u-turn and well you know what happened then...
Then this guy will be the first in line to tell everyone about the cop who gave him a ticket for having the exact same pipes as everyone else in the crowd. He certainly won't detail the behavior that got him the ticket. I've seen and heard it too many times.

Andy

Old 03-17-2008 | 05:40 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Andy Engemann

Then this guy will be the first in line to tell everyone about the cop who gave him a ticket for having the exact same pipes as everyone else in the crowd. He certainly won't detail the behavior that got him the ticket. I've seen and heard it too many times.

Andy
I think I read this guy's post right here! He was complaining about the pig SOB that picked him out of the crowd and gave him a ticket for no reason whatsoever!

Old 03-17-2008 | 05:50 AM
relli
Road Warrior

the "pig SOB" ?????????????? people still resort to that?? common sense rules.

Old 03-17-2008 | 05:51 AM
Andy Engemann
Tourer

[quote]ORIGINAL: XTrooper3936

ORIGINAL: Andy Engemann

Andy
I think I read this guy's post right here! He was complaining about the pig SOB that picked him out of the crowd and gave him a ticket for no reason whatsoever!

It must have been him!! Or one of the thousands just like him!!

The ignorant will say anything to put the blame on the police before admitting their own error.

Unfortunately, this forum is not immune!

Andy

Old 03-17-2008 | 02:00 PM
bobbyg12
Cruiser

+1

My brother was a Michigan State Trooper for years. His saying was always "If you want a ticket, all you need to do is attract my attention"

ORIGINAL: XTrooper3936

During my entire career as a Jersey Trooper (I retired in '91), I never pulled over a motorcycle for "loud pipes." Ever.

The only situation I can think of that would have caused me to is if a rider had been stupid enough to "ask" for a ticket via some jackass behavior.

Old 03-17-2008 | 02:23 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member

Never saw or heard of anyone being pulled over for loud pipes unless they were intentionally being loud in town.

Did have a strange thing happen to me once though. I live in a very small town with one part time cop. He was hiding and listening for loud pipes due to several complaints by locals. I was riding a V65 magna and got a well deserved speeding ticket out of the deal. The cop laughed and said he was only there to listen for loud pipes and he never even heard me coming, but he SAW me coming.

A few months later I saw him at the gas station and told him I had traded for a much slower, but much louder bike. I was sure he would remember me because we got along good and he gave me a real break on the mph over the limit. He looked at me and stated he had never written a biker a ticket in his 25 year career as a cop. I didn't know what to say, so I just rode away.

Dennis

Old 03-17-2008 | 03:05 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member

I dont get it either.
I'm 50(+) years old and have NEVER attracted the attention of the police.
After watching TV on those police chase videos, sometimes I wonder[]

Quick Reply: cops and loud pipes