Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar Wire Extensions Kits??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 02:24 PM
gliderman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handlebar Wire Extensions Kits??

Are some of these wire extension kits on the market (Novello, NAMZ)a plug-in to your existing wires or do they all need to be cut and spliced?? If they are plug-in with heatshrink, are they reliable? Anyone using them? Thanks...

Old 03-16-2008, 02:42 PM
hogdoc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Handlebar Wire Extensions Kits??

I personally would NEVER use a plug in and shrink wrap extension kit.
First off ALL the connectors are going to be bundled together, potential for the connectors rubbing through the shink and causing shorts or grounds.
Second the reliability of the joint staying together while pulling through the bars is questionable.
Third is my reputation for a quality product when I return it to you.

Stagger the joints, solder the connections, do it right the first time instead of cheaper/easier!

The following users liked this post:
PanAmFan (02-12-2024)
Old 03-16-2008, 03:26 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 1,841 Posts

ORIGINAL: gliderman

Are some of these wire extension kits on the market (Novello, NAMZ)a plug-in to your existing wires or do they all need to be cut and spliced?? If they are plug-in with heatshrink, are they reliable? Anyone using them? Thanks...
Most are cut and splice like the Namz. Do what hogdoc says and solder, stagger and shrink tube.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:14 PM
hardav23
Tourer

+2 for staggering them. I used the wire extensions, but staggered the connections and soldered all 52 connections, no problems and gives you piece of mind that they won't come undone when running them through the bars.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:31 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually there is a better solution

You can get the complete harnessdesigned to fit your bike with all switches already installed usually for less than 50 bucks....48" per side.....I just ordered mine from Mid-USA already attached to chrome switches for $48......the wires come bundled in vinyl sleeve just like factory...they also come in black.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:06 PM
gliderman
Road Captain

"Actually there is a better solution"

"You can get the complete harnessdesigned to fit your bike with all switches already installed usually for less than 50 bucks....48" per side.....I just ordered mine from Mid-USA already attached to chrome switches for $48......the wires come bundled in vinyl sleeve just like factory...they also come in black."

This seemed like the perfect labor saver solution. Unfortunately, the complete harness assemblies from Mid-USA don't come for bikes with radio controls. At least I didn't see it offered in their catalog.........

Old 03-17-2008, 12:37 PM
hogdoc
Banned

ORIGINAL: YodaddyKeith

Actually there is a better solution

You can get the complete harnessdesigned to fit your bike with all switches already installed usually for less than 50 bucks....48" per side.....I just ordered mine from Mid-USA already attached to chrome switches for $48......the wires come bundled in vinyl sleeve just like factory...they also come in black.
I'll stick to soldering extensions and keep the factory controls everyday of the week and twice on Sunday before buying cheap import switch housings from Mid-USA ,thank you very much!

Old 03-17-2008, 12:45 PM
shagnasty
Road Master

I used these on my bike, been on for 2 years and 15000 miles with out incident. Instructions are straight forward just take your time and you should have no problems.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:09 AM
rebeltruce
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy insisted ons usinga NAMZ 4 inch extensionkit when I did his bars. I put a bead of solder on each pin (spliced)connection, double heat shrink on each one.

So far so good, I'm not worried about them rubbing through. The splice point ended up inside the frame on the Dyna (there is a removableaccess shield on the Dyna's), so there is no movement whatsoever. Still would recommend double heat shrink, where ever possible.

I used a short piece of heat shrink,just long enough to cover thesplice pins, then a longer piece to cover the first by a 1/2 inch on each side.

On myRoad King, I solderedand used heat shrinkon everything. Didn't buy any kind of'kit'.

The NAMZ kit was pretty cheesy for theamount of money he spent on it.