Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who never uses water to clean their bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008 | 12:24 PM
jskwarek
Road Master
Default RE: Who never uses water to clean their bike?

I have always used Zanios spray cleaners and micro fiber towels on my Road King, but was noticing this weekend that I have hair line swirls in the paint that I am going to have to figure out how to get out now.

I am pretty **** about keeping this bike clean, and it seems that it is a magnet for dust so washing it with water and soap then drying then going back with a spray cleaner to get all the spots off afterwards would be a whole day job then it would just be dusty the next day.

I just wish black bikes were not so nice.

Jeff

Old 03-17-2008 | 12:51 PM
snafu
Cruiser

WTF - is this for real? The bikes are made to ride, yes even in the rain. Why would anyone use anything but soap and water to clean the things with?

Old 03-17-2008 | 01:25 PM
jayemt551
Advanced

I ride my bike outside on the street and often do not have time to wash it. If it has dust i just ride faster to get it off. the more time I spend washing is less time i can be riding.

Old 03-17-2008 | 01:33 PM
Xtreme Hawg
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: FLHT

ORIGINAL: IronLegend

ORIGINAL: atexn4christ

I use the Mr, Clean Auto dry.
+1, no issues.
+2 on the Mr Clean system
Add me to the Mr. Clean list..."D"

Old 03-17-2008 | 06:32 PM
Seal Guy Ken
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Yokel99

Holy crap, I've heard rain is nearly 100% water
Say it isn't so! You mean that stuff will get you wet?
I think I'll water my lawn this summer without water just tosee ifthis theory is accurate.
Any idea how often I should go out and move the sprinkler to a new spot?
I'll want to be careful not to over do it and kill my grass.

Old 03-17-2008 | 07:01 PM
Wtxflhtx
Intermediate

Funny stuff! How od some of these guy wash thier autos? Fact is if your scooter is used for transportation you got to wash it. They do get dirty. If you can clean with spray bottle you ain't riding your just in the parade.

Old 03-17-2008 | 07:07 PM
racklefratz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: snafu

WTF - is this for real? The bikes are made to ride, yes even in the rain. Why would anyone use anything but soap and water to clean the things with?
Of course, you're right. Any talk about trying to get a bike clean without using water is just goofy. We use water to clean everything - what is it about a motorcycle that makes it any different?

With all the tiny, obscure and hard to get to places there are on a bike, the only sensible way to go about getting it clean is with a pressure washer. Use a little common sense (some people have a hard time with that) and don't spray directly into the handlebar switches, instruments, wheel bearings, yada, yada,.....common sense, and it'll be clean. Trying to do it by hand just ain't gonna' get at the crud that builds up in the impossible-to-reach places.

Life's too short to waste time trying to get a bike clean any other way.

Old 03-17-2008 | 08:13 PM
fathogg
Advanced

Hell, I paid 25k for something that can't get wet? I get caught in the rain on a somewhat regular basis. I guess you will if you ride it, (that's what I bought it for!). I use water every time I wash it! That means if I ever were to sell it, I could not put"never seen rain" in the ad. I guess it would not be worth as much?

JUST RIDE MAN! JUST RIDE!!

Old 03-17-2008 | 08:24 PM
rottnutz
Road Captain

Dang, I'm hosed!

We get lots of rain here.

I wash mine regularly and haven't seen any drastic reduction of my ride time....

Old 03-17-2008 | 08:39 PM
Seal Guy Ken
Cruiser

I took a shower another this morning (45 years with real water) and all is still good.
Itook my truck through the car wash on Sunday (real water) and all is good.
I just ran out to the garage to check my bike (washed it with real water before winter)... took off the cover... and THANK GOD... after a whole summer of Sunday washes, she's still there looking as pretty as ever.

Don't scare me like that!

Quick Reply: Who never uses water to clean their bike?