Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

antenna hitting luggage rack on FLHT

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 07:26 PM
mountainpharm
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default antenna hitting luggage rack on FLHT

I added a luggage rack to my FLHT today and the radio antenna is hitting it. I'm sure this is going to dull the chrome if I don't do something about it. My first instinct was to bend the antenna bracket so that the antenna clears the back of the rack, but I wanted to see what others have done to correct this before I did anything.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Ugly Troll
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: antenna hitting luggage rack on FLHT

Hey chad! My solution was to put a shorty antenna on mine! Works just as well as the original longer whip, and it looks better imo...........that's actually the main reason I changed it (ok, that, and I got sick of the damned thing always hitting me in the head every time I opened the tp!) Anyway, not hitting the rack was an unexpected bonus! I used the rubber shorty they sell at the stealership.......no probs with it, just remember to use lock tite when you install it otherwise it's gone!

Old 03-15-2008, 07:41 PM
rickoshay45
Road Master

I cut the antenna down to 14". Your radio antenna does not need to be so long unless you live out in the Western Waste Lands. Your profile doesn't show where you live so I don't know if it's a problem for you.

[/align]

Old 03-15-2008, 07:43 PM
mountainpharm
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Ugly Troll
Hey chad! My solution was to put a shorty antenna on mine!
I thought about that as well, but was concerned about reception. The mountains around here tend to block out radio signals. You say you get reception just as well with the shorty?? That would certainly be the easiest and most attractive solution if the reception wasn't compromised. Any other feedback on the shorty antennas in mountainous areas?

Old 03-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Ugly Troll
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Home is the hills of western Massachusetts.........lots of riding up in the White Mtns of New Hampshire..........took a trip last summer down to the Knoxville Tn area (national Hog rally) Never any probs with reception......in fact, around here, the signal seems BETTER than the stock whip! I tend to listen more to the cd player or mp3's through my zumo, so the radio siganl isn't as critical for me, but like I said, I've not had any noticeable decrease in reception with the shorty.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:52 PM
2003flhtci
Tourer

I also just cut my original antenna down to size (about 15"). I don't know what metal it's made out of, but it was a bitch to clip off. It's also tapered, which I didn't notice until I tried to cut it. Haven't noticed any difference in reception, but I don't live in a mountain area. On the other hand, I very seldom listen to the radio anyhow, now that I have a computer that burns music CDs.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:03 PM
rickoshay45
Road Master

The shorties are a coil of wire inside a rubber skin and are not too expensive. I'd suggest cutting your whip down and if it don't work, buy a shorty. What are you out, an antenna your going to change any way? J&M has a good one, from what I've read here for not too bad a price.

[/align]

Old 03-15-2008, 08:15 PM
bbaadd
Advanced

i have an fltr and cut the antenna down by half but still hit new luggage rack. the antenna bracket has to screws holding it on, so i used my elec. die grinder to enlongate or slot the top hole and leaned the antenna back enough to clear.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:23 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of these will fix you right up.
http://www.eglidegoodies.com/id109.html
I used the SD2-B18