Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE clutch hard pull! I need a easier pull

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 11:32 PM
SCRider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SE clutch hard pull! I need a easier pull

ORIGINAL: Ultra61

I have a 103" HQ and...

I bought a SE clutch and I am tellin ya for town drivin the spring is way to stiff...I swaped out the SE spring and put the easy pull in and now the spring will not hold to the tq...some folks have put the older spring in, like for 03'...do you know of a clutch that sticks (or spring)but not so hard to pull? ...[:@]

Thanks Tim
Install a VPC. A VPC will not only lighten up the pressure required when you pull in the clutch lever but it will also increase the pressure on the clutch plate greatly improving its perfomance. The install takes only about 30 minutes. A VPC combined with the EZ ramp (only) should allow you to pull the clutch in with two fingers.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:42 AM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

A lot of talk about the VPC so it must be a great product so the question I ask is how much stress have you put on the VPC set up...?

Loaded for bear in Canada...being chased by a bear...slamming 2nd gear in a speed-shift evasion style will the clutch stick...? ...hypothetically speaking of course...Gods speed...

Old 03-16-2008, 07:56 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,223 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I had a VPC on my 04, loved it

Old 03-16-2008, 08:29 AM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master

I have the SE heavy clutch spring in mine,I never really had a problem with it,ya abit heavy to hold in traffic for awhile but not a problem,dealer service guys always asked how the "F" i hold the thing ,they suggested replacing the original ramp with the easy pull ramp,retaining the SE spring as well.I cant get over how much easier it pulls now,i think it's easier than the stock spring myself. if im not mistaken i think thats the set up Maineultraclassic (steve) is running in his bike ? sure fixed my heavy pull on the clutch lever.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:32 AM
Heathen
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look into a white bros. ez pull kit,not to pricey,but does the job.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:41 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i just do not understand the "left" and "right" you talk of...[sm=confused06.gif]
I didn't notice that you have an '07 that comes with the EZ clutch kit already installed.

What I did was install the EZ clutch ramps on the right side of the tranny where the clutch cable goes, and install the SE clutch spring in the primary(left) to give better grip. That to me kept the clutch lever equal to stock on my '05.

Steve

Old 03-16-2008, 09:16 AM
asuperheat
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run one with my curent build at 134ft pounds and I cut it no slack, and 120 ftlbs from 2500 to 5000.

A lot of talk about the VPC so it must be a great product so the question I ask is how much stress have you put on the VPC set up...?

Loaded for bear in Canada...being chased by a bear...slamming 2nd gear in a speed-shift evasion style will the clutch stick...? ...hypothetically speaking of course...Gods speed...

Old 03-16-2008, 10:01 AM
BOARGAURD
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

ORIGINAL: TexasBowhunter

AIM VPC...@$250
My buddy had the very thing your speaking of with his 07 and S/E diapram spring...
I loaned him my VPC which I bought for my build I'm getting ready to start on...
He has stated he has quite an improvement over what he originally had...
Perhaps he'll chime in and give some more info...

Okay here I am. I installed the SE plate on my '07 FLHT last summer and the lever was extremely hard to pull over the stock setup, I still had the stock EZ ramp under the side cover. I rode this way for about 8,000 miles. I oiled the cable and it was still very hard to pull and in town and traffic conditions were terrible. TexasBowhunter loaned me his new VPC to try out since I am recovering from a broken left wrist due to the M/C accident back in Dec. The VPC has reduced the amount of pressure on the clutch and yes I am still running the SE plate, the only change was adding the VPC. I can now pull the clutch in with two fingers, very amazing product. As far as putting power to the ground, I have not heard anything bad about using the VPC. My understanding is that most people with large motor builds use this product. It took about 30 mins to install under the derby cover. I want to thank TexasBowhunter for loaning me VPC to test out. Thanks again Paul...

Old 03-16-2008, 10:03 AM
rdking330
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you try and oil the cable and clutch lever?

Old 03-16-2008, 11:35 AM
chiefordnance
Advanced

Personnaly I would dump the SE clutch and go with a Barnett System you can find them cheaper on Ebay after awhile the SE will give you problems with setup and adjustment of the springs which sound like your issues already.

Just my 2 cents

http://www.barnettclutches.com/applications/harley.aspx

Quick Reply: SE clutch hard pull! I need a easier pull