Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extending Electrical wiring for new apes

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 09:35 AM
harpoon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extending Electrical wiring for new apes

Hi all, I just recieved my new apes (Wild1 502's) along with the extended Barnet braided cables. ( these look sweet)
Well I have read alot on this forum about people doing this themselves and I was convinced that I could maybe do it too. But what I found least talked about is the extension of the electrical wires. I have my front end all stripped down and see there are I think 3 harneses with a total of about 18 wires running inside my current handlebars. I obviously need to extend these but haven't seen much discussion on how you all performed this. Here is what I was going to attempt and tell me if I am crazy:

a. I was going to disconnect the switch housing, pop the the wires out(find away to label them first) then run them down and out through the bottom of the bars.

I bought a roll of 16 Guage wire and some shrink wrap.( can I do this all with just 16 guage?)

b. Then I was going to cut them somewhere in the middle where they would be inside bars, strip the ends and add a piece of the wire I bought between and solder and shrink wrap.

c. When all cables are extended I would fish them back up the bars and reconnect them to the switch housings.

As I was typing this is sounds too easy and i am scared as hell to begin because I am thinking that is must be more difficult than this.

If you have any better way of doing all of this please share what you know or your experiences.

I appreciate all input you all can give me. I really want to start this today.

Thanks

Harpoon

Old 03-15-2008, 09:58 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: Extending Electrical wiring for new apes

The wires are 'hard' connected at the switch housings, you need to disconnect the connectors behind the headlight, and disassemble the connector.

I'll send you a PM with my number - incase you have any questions.

You are on the right track though.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:21 AM
mikeboztx
Cruiser

The main thing not to do!!!! Don't cut all the wires in the same place. You'll end up with a fat place in your harness. Just stagger you splices and you shouldn't have any problems.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:25 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: mikeboztx

The main thing not to do!!!! Don't cut all the wires in the same place. You'll end up with a fat place in your harness. Just stagger you splices and you shouldn't have any problems.

LOL -

So I'm not the only one who has done that before?

I was fortunateenough to learn that lesson a while back - one of those things that I don't even think about anymore.

Wiring car stereo's taught me that lesson 'back in the day'. Man I feel old now. Thanks for triggering that series of memories.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

They're color coded, so marking shouldn't be much of a problem. If you're going to cut & splice just remember to vary the length of each wire so you don't get a bunch of splices at one point (won't fit back into the bars). It's not complicated, just takes time.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:44 AM
harleybuilder
Cruiser

I would try to find a local indy/builder that carries the correct wire color/size on rolls, It makes it so much easier.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:17 AM
harpoon
Cruiser

As always you guys come to the rescue and fast.. Much appreciated.

Jumpman, you just saved me a big headache from trying to disconnect the wires from the Switch housing. So I just looked at the connectors behind the headlight and made a diagram of the color scheme now is there a trick to remove the wires from the connector in a way that they can just plug back in?? Oh and I appreciate you giving me your phone number, please don't be surprised if you hear from me somtime this weekend... right after this I have the Brake line and clutch cable two scary tasks I am worried about. but one thing at a time right..

Mikeboztk and Jinks, Excellent advice and i soo would have cut them all at the same spot so thank you very much..

Harley Builder, I don't really care about the color scheme, but I do still need to know is what guage wire I need for all of these? I did read somewhere that they are all 18 Guage accept for 2 wires are 16guage, I screwed up and bought just 16 guage. But the wire looks like the same size. So could I please get some clarification on this peice please????

Thank you all very much...

Harpoon

Old 03-15-2008, 11:42 AM
harleybuilder
Cruiser

only reason i use the factory color/size, is for that very reason. I do not have to worry if i screwed up and got the wrong size. Just makes it easier while soldering everything back-color/stripe to color/stripe. If you have a manual it should give wire gauge size.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: harpoon

As always you guys come to the rescue and fast.. Much appreciated.

Jumpman, you just saved me a big headache from trying to disconnect the wires from the Switch housing. So I just looked at the connectors behind the headlight and made a diagram of the color scheme now is there a trick to remove the wires from the connector in a way that they can just plug back in?? Oh and I appreciate you giving me your phone number, please don't be surprised if you hear from me somtime this weekend... right after this I have the Brake line and clutch cable two scary tasks I am worried about. but one thing at a time right..

Mikeboztk and Jinks, Excellent advice and i soo would have cut them all at the same spot so thank you very much..

Harley Builder, I don't really care about the color scheme, but I do still need to know is what guage wire I need for all of these? I did read somewhere that they are all 18 Guage accept for 2 wires are 16guage, I screwed up and bought just 16 guage. But the wire looks like the same size. So could I please get some clarification on this peice please????

Thank you all very much...

Harpoon

No problem at all... just don't call too late cuz the daughter is outta town and I plan on having 'quality' time with the wifey tonite.

If you insert a pin (or a REALLY small flathead screwdriver) into the connector above each wire (i think from the 'wire side') you can get the wires to release from the connector. When you are done with the extentions they just slide back in & will lock into place.

16ga wire will be fine for the upgrade on all the wires. So don't sweat that.

One suggestion - If you have a few bucks laying around (OK, more than a few) - get the chrome control kit from H-D. At VERY least the chrome switch-housings. You have everything apart anyway...so might as well upgrade to avoid having to do it twice. If the wife complains - tell her that you are still spending less than you would have if H-D would have done the Ape's installation.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:37 PM
harpoon
Cruiser

That worked perfectly Jumpman, got all the cables out of the connectors.. now to the manual to get the switch housings off.

I know exactly what you are saying about croming up the switch housings. I thought long and hard about that this week and even posted something about it and the conclusion was that yes I would be crazy not to do it all at this point. BUT as you know with the wife there is always a money issue, so I decided to I will deal with the black for this season and make that my next winters project..

Harpoon

Quick Reply: Extending Electrical wiring for new apes