Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extending Electrical wiring for new apes

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 01:41 PM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Extending Electrical wiring for new apes

yeah those are just power wires feeding multiple switches rather then having whole feeds for each.

Adam

Old 03-18-2008, 01:49 PM
modes
Road Master

If you haven't cut the wires yet...i wil through in some advice from experience. Take the existing wires and stagger cut all the wires right now so they are like stairs. then, cut all your extension pieces the same length, then grab a wire solder one end then the other end...same color. easy to keep track of what your doing nothing get crossed and most important your overall "new" harness has wires that are all the same length so when you put then in the connector again you don't get a pigtail from that random longer length wire. I just redid my bars and I used shrink wrap over the entire harness aswell as over each joint. looked nice, but may have pulled easier if i did not.

Adam

Old 03-18-2008, 02:55 PM
harpoon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adam, thanks alot for the answer to my question. And that is excellent advise and will to exactly that. I was wondering what to put over the new ( now longer) set of cables. there was a rubber sleeve covering them but now that theset of cablesis 10in. longer I was wondering where I can get one of those sleeves to replace the one i cut off. Where did you find shrink wrap that big and long??

Thanks alot

Harpoon

Old 03-18-2008, 03:10 PM
modes
Road Master

fastenall is where i got the recent stuff, had some left over from a kit i bought online a while back. i have seen some on spools but my pieces were 6" and i started at the switch and overlapped my way down, this way i would not be pulling against the grain if you will. in the past i have simply run around the wires with electrical tape every 4" or so just to keep them together and did not have issues. don't be afraid to lube them on the way in to help them slide along.

Adam