Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need opion SE Slip on and SE Air no need to add SERT

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 12:27 AM
spirit80
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need opion SE Slip on and SE Air no need to add SERT

After spending the evening at the dealership. I was informed by the parts department that the Harley tech's (who were just in) are now saying if you add SE slip on example 64924-99 and a SE air cleaner that there is no need for a SERT untill you add true duals. They claim they ECM will make the adjustments by itself.
This is going against everything I have read and researched. Is there a change of heart now?
I have a 2007 Street Glide.
I would appreciate some feedback from some experts. Thanks

Old 03-15-2008, 12:42 AM
hogbag07
Road Captain
Default RE: Need opion SE Slip on and SE Air no need to add SERT

Add sert or cook motor and fry legs.
I think the SE pipes are the supertrapp type so you canremove the baffles for stock back pressure I read that one bike will run fine and the next will be lean.You might as well give it a try the supertrapp pipehave anice deep note but not to loud and you can all ways add more baffles and the sert later on to cool it down good luck

Old 03-15-2008, 12:43 AM
socalmoe
Tourer

News to me, my understanding is that the ECM has to be either programmed with a "canned" program or work in conjunction with something like a PCIII.
Might want to research a bit more, IMO if you do that your bike will runlike s___t and potentially damage it.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:44 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

First time I heard that one??

The '07 & '08 EPA makes them run lean... Changing the AIR KIT it takes in more air would make it run even leaner???

Old 03-15-2008, 12:51 AM
DZLDR
Road Warrior

if all you do is add screaming eagle air cleaner and screaming eagle slipons, eventualy you will end up with a screaming eagle COOKED MOTOR.
It's your bike and your dime. You make the choice.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:00 AM
spirit80
Intermediate

I am going back to talk with the service department tomorrow. I agree that a SERT or PCIII is needed if you are changing the air intake. I will also call Harley myself for clarification. I hope the parts department is not trying to upsell and air cleaner!

Old 03-15-2008, 01:10 AM
Hoffy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curiuos though, has ANYBODY here ever heard of a EFI bike that actually siezed or had hole melted in the pistons, or any seriuos engine damage do to over heating, running stock ecm settings? I have not yet.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:49 AM
jahays32
Tourer

That is all my brother did to his 08 EG classic. The dealer put on SE slipons and SE AC and a new download. I think the download was around $200.00.

He is happy with the set up. The total amount out the door was $740.00 with his 10% discount. Engine is still working 4000 miles later.

Now I went with the SERT and true duals myself.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:26 AM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dealer told me it would be ok with just the slip ons, but would run a little lean; yet the sensors would make ok changes. Once the SE air was added it was absolutely necessary to do a tune. I bought the SERT had the dealer tweak it, and it ran well, the dyno although not overly impressive was ok. The seat dyno was nice. Since it was in the middle of the winter I could not tell if it was going to run hot! I was not happy with the sound with the SE pipes... just too soft... I don't want loud, loud, but they really made almost no difference. I was also not happy with running 2up, and downshifting all the time so I decided to go for a torque upgrade. At any rate I'm putting on bub 7 td with crossover, and changing cams, heads, cyls too. If I ever get it done and ever figure out how to post a pic I will. I'm so glad that getting back into bikes has proven to be an inexpensive hobby.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:42 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When i bought my 08UC i could hardly make the first 500 miles with the excessive heat build up on my legs. I made quick work of the next 500 miles and did the slip-ons,se air filter,sert,and dyno. Was not thrilled to have to spend more money to get a new bike to run right but happy with the results. It was 95+ degree weather the whole time and it made a very big difference in the heat and as a nice bonus it ran better. Going with a synthetic oil helped lower the heat and made it run and shift smoother. I was not convinced that a oil change could make a noticeable difference but after i changed it i was sold. I also could not wait to change to a K&N filter so i modified a HD-0800 to fit so all is good now.

Quick Reply: Need opion SE Slip on and SE Air no need to add SERT