Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Give You The Smoothest Ride? Air or Spring Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 08:34 AM
Hi Lo Air Ride
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which Give You The Smoothest Ride? Air or Spring Shocks?

If you are going to have 240 lbs plus on the RK air ride suspension www.Hi-LoRider.com will be your best ride. The more weight you put on the system the better it will ride. If you ride solo and have less then 240 lbson the bike it is going to ride stiff.This holds true on all your Harley Touring models, the weight will not effect the ride on Soft Tails & Customs.Hi-Lo has a life time warranty on there shocks so this will be the last set of shocks you would ever have to buy, if you stay with a touring model remove the system and put them on your new bike. Systems are on sale through April 15th for $895.00.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:38 AM
nujohn
Tourer

I ride with 22lbs in my air shocks. I,m 260 lbs never had a leak I have a pump from HD works great. I uselly check my bike beforeall long runs air (seat and tire) oils ect,,

Old 03-15-2008, 08:51 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

A nitrogen/coil over, bar none, will by far - give the best/smoothest/seriously improved handling ride. I do not like to argue but the real facts are: a Penske shock is not even remotely the same ride as all of the shocks listed above.

These are the facts & do with this information what you like.

HD Riders have had this junk crammed down your throats and no one has bothered to make a real improvement. For a $20K bike HD should have made the bikes that way in the begining. Not by using 1970's technology and certainly not by you wasting money by upgrading to the late 1970's.

One ride, one experience, and you will know. Not remotely the same, period! Take a ride than debate those facts.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:59 AM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love my stock rear air shocks...

Harley has Showasuspension - Front and Rear - and haveing raced/ridden Honda Dirt bike for years it was very easy for me to set up my front forks..

The rear air shocks take time, you need to play with the air settings..

My setting on my FLHX is: 20 psi 1 up and 33psi 2 up / I run 15w in forks at 11.5 oz. with a
4 stack of washers for more preload.

Air leak issue contact, Showa directly: showa_pr@showa1.co.jp

ask them for help with any and all issues.

My buddies went with the Works Performance Shocks, all of there wifes have complained that the ride is not as nice....

Old 03-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Mr Pou
Advanced

ORIGINAL: FastHarley

A nitrogen/coil over, bar none, will by far - give the best/smoothest/seriously improved handling ride. I do not like to argue but the real facts are: a Penske shock is not even remotely the same ride as all of the shocks listed above.
No denying good suspension is worth it, but cost has to be a consideration, too. What are we talking, ballpark, for a decent set of Penske shocks???

Old 03-15-2008, 05:06 PM
harleykris
Tourer

I think I saw them at $895.00!!!!! Could be wrong, hope I'm wrong.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Puzzled
Banned

Hands down aftermarket air over oil. I'm not a fan of the air only cylinders. Arnott has a great air ride system priced right. I have now had three well known brands of air on my bike and there is a reason I have had three different manufactures!

Myself along with a few other guys here have some good pricing on the Arnott's. There is better pricing when 5 units are purhased. I'm currently waiting on their new batch of Bilsteins set up to my preferred travel length.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

I had Progressive 440's on for a while but went back to HD air shocks, much better ride in my opinion.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:51 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

ORIGINAL: harleykris

I think I saw them at $895.00!!!!! Could be wrong, hope I'm wrong.
Yes, you are wrong. The cost is for a set of sweep adjusters is $997.50 + Shipping/Pair. You will get what you pay for. Ride and if you are needing to please the most discernible rider, this fits the bill. Bounce down the road or buy a for real shock. If you do not know what this technology offers than it is worth your while to learn and experience them for yourself. There is a whole another world out there in performance and nothing above (shocks) delivers, nothing.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:46 PM
harleyeglideman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 412's are "entry level" value shocks and the 440's are top end. I use the 440's on one of my bikes and love them. I will probably change our the shocks on the second bike later this year. The bladders periodically leak on the OEM HD air shocks, contrary to previous posting. You'll usually start to notice it between 16K and 25K. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Which Give You The Smoothest Ride? Air or Spring Shocks?