Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RK standard mount Tour pack system

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008 | 09:13 AM
courage
|
Intermediate
Default RK standard mount Tour pack system

I went to the dealer and wanted to just by the regular mounting setup for the RK. They said that they only sell the detatch tourpack kit. So I got to thinking that there are probably quite a few guys that put the detatchable kit on their bike and have the regular mounting system, right?

Am I on the right path here?

Old 03-14-2008 | 10:54 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: RK standard mount Tour pack system

EDIT: (HD sells the permanent/rigid mount parts as HD PN 53118-98 for installing King/ChoppedTP on Road King, Street Glide, or EG Standard. It's listed in the P&A catalog at page 417 in the description of the King Tour-Pak Luggage; same info is on the website.)

If you look at your RK Standard's rear fender, along the top are two chrome rails that are the "chrome strut covers." If you check these, you will notice a cut-out/notch along the interior edge. This is where a chrome bracket for the permanent tour pack mount would attach to the bike at the front of the bracket. The rear of the permanent mount bracket attaches to the bike using a license plate bracket that is bolted to the grab rail/chrome strut support tube.

If you look at an Electra Glide Classis or Ultra, you will see the permanent chrome bracket supporting the tour pak.

If you want the permanent mount bracket, you can buy it, the license plate bracket, spacers, etc. from HD or they show up on Ebay frequently.

I don't think that the permanent mount bracketand two-up detachable tour pak mount can be used at the same time.

Frankly, my experience with several local HD dealerships is that the parts people know very little about the type of question you've posed and tend to go stricly from what's written in the P&A catalog.

Bottom line is that you can add the permanent TP rack if you want to use that to mount the TP; but you can't have it on the bike and also use a detachable two-up rack.