Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guess what, and it's no surprise to me

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 01:46 AM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Guess what, and it's no surprise to me

as some know, G/F has 07 sporty. the oil tank blew up this week end.
Took pictures into the local dealer, they said no problem will be covered
under warranty.
They picked bike up for free.
today they said it will not be covered under warranty!!
Why???
Because it did not have a genuine HD oil filter.
The carquest oil filter # 85348 (made by wix 51348) does not have the bypass valve
and HD will not warrantee the damage because we did not use HD filter.

Well I calmly told him he is full of Sh*t and the moss magnuson act.
Then when I got home I went to wix filters and looked up her bike 07 xl series (883C).
Got the above part numbers. clicked the number and new window opened with the spec sheet
for the filter. It most definitely has a by pass valve.
So now we will be in a fight against HD and the dealer over this AFTER we get bike back.
We are going to be very nice and polite to the dealer, and get him to state on the work order
reason oil tank blew up was because the filter is at fault. Get wix involved and carquest.
Funny it happened in the winter and not summer and has 2200 miles on the filter.
also my 06 uses the exact same filter. Been using it for almost three years now.
I've not had a problem like this!
Now maybe some of you will realize why we all need to band together and support one another
against HD and their outright lies? and refusal to honor the warranty?

Old 03-14-2008, 02:00 AM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Guess what, and it's no surprise to me

Google up all the other instances of exploding sporty oil tanks and print them out for dealer......There are many........Some posts also explain the design defect that causes it.

If dealer still won't budge, give it to your lawyer and tell him to recover his fees while he is at it.

Your problem is not with HD, it is with your dealer, so sue him.

Oh and now you know why I always buy their oil and filters....there is a record of my purchases on their computer, so they can't argue.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:05 AM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Now that there is Bull ****, and I will agree with you that the MOCO warranty claims department is crap..... Whom ever is in charge of that department needs to be put on the road out of there.
Took me three (3) weeks to get an answer on a small warranty issue (It was OKed finnaly) I would hate to see the fight you are in for.
Good luck.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:11 AM
YodaddyKeith
Banned

Choo,

Two reasons this belongs in Sporty forum:

A. Other Sporty owners need to know of the problem(especially seeing how it is still winter)

B. Other Sporty owners might have experienced same but didn't know the reason, or DID get it resolved properly.

I KNOW why it happens......Water collects and floats to bottom of tank.....it freezes in hose that is misrouted and has a hump in it....the freeze block allows tank to quickly over pressureize and explode.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:19 AM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oh I will post it in the sporty forum also.
First we are going to be so polite butter won't melt in our mouths.
We first need everything documented on the work order including at determination
statement from the dealer that the filter caused the failure. and to get bike fixed in a reasonable
time frame.
with that we then move to the next process.
It is against federal law to mandate the use of the manufacturers product only
on whatever it is you buy, unless they can convince the FTC that ONLY their product
will function correctly.
Otherwise they have to provide the product (in this case oil filter) free of charge for duration
of the written warranty.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:26 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: choochoo

oh I will post it in the sporty forum also.
First we are going to be so polite butter won't melt in our mouths.
We first need everything documented on the work order including at determination
statement from the dealer that the filter caused the failure. and to get bike fixed in a reasonable
time frame.
with that we then move to the next process.
It is against federal law to mandate the use of the manufacturers product only
on whatever it is you buy, unless they can convince the FTC that ONLY their product
will function correctly.
Otherwise they have to provide the product (in this case oil filter) free of charge for duration
of the written warranty.
Very true. just try to get them to document as much of their bull **** as you can. Unfortunately, if you already brought up to their attention that you know of the magnuson act, they may try and cover their collective asses... Good luck, my brother... keep us abreast of the situation...

Old 03-14-2008, 04:33 AM
YodaddyKeith
Banned

Papa, "abreast" is one word......"A breast" is a totally different matter......Please be more careful typing cause your mistakes are very distracting for me......I suddenly have tons of **** popups now too

Old 03-14-2008, 04:40 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: YodaddyKeith

Papa, "abreast" is one word......"A breast" is a totally different matter......Please be more careful typing cause your mistakes are very distracting for me......I suddenly have tons of **** popups now too
Fixed it... I guess we know where my mind is at, LOL. By the way, I take no responsibility for any computer viruses that you may incur.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:43 AM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

left my original dealer over warranty on a piar of grips. and this is after i bought a 07 xlch AND a 07 flhtc in a twelve month period. idiots!!

Old 03-14-2008, 05:03 AM
YodaddyKeith
Banned

Yep, I had a dealer refuse to exchange a tshirt cause the sales gal bagged the wrong size.....they said "no refunds or exchanges on tshirts".....Even tho it was still new and in the same bag.....So went and bought two new harleys at another dealer in the next three weeks......sometimes they are so very stupid.....They should be handing out tshirts with their name on them to start with, steada farking guys outta a few bucks....." Think small, be small", as I always say.

But that's ok cause now I ride my other dealer's bikes to their free weekend events where I eat their free food and drink their free drinks and wear the other dealer's tshirts.......duh!

Quick Reply: Guess what, and it's no surprise to me