Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tried every brake bleeding method.....now what!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 12:12 AM
continentaldrifter
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tried every brake bleeding method.....now what!

OK..........new 6 piston PM's with OEM master on 07 SG............tried the conventional method, .....Mighty Vac, .......pumped from the bottom, ......gravity drain, .......rubberband around grip and lever for 24 hours, ........."tickling"the lever the first 1/4" for 30 minutes method, ..........pressurized the system with little hand pump from the bottom up(worked great but had to crack the bleeders to release pressure then back to square one).......................after two hours for each style each night for the last week WITH an authorizedHD mechanic, i got nothin', the lever still hits the grip with slght resistance andno-way enough to stop the bike. Im just about out of ideas, could the master taken a dump? Wasnt impressed with front brakes when rode the bike off the dealer floor and brought it back with a complaint about them, stated "NOTHIN WRONG WITH THEM BRAKES". So i figured i'd upgrade to PM's as i've had them on every other bike and loved them, but i've NEVER had this problem for this long with every brake bleeding method used. I read through the forums search, and wound up buying Speedbleeders, maybe this'll do somethin'.......my question is with all these attempts, i have no more air bubbles in the system and positively no leaks, how can i still have no pressure on lever!!!!!.................by the grace of the Good Lord,somebody please give me something to go with or some kinda freakin' positive outlook ![sm=smiley35.gif]

Old 03-14-2008, 12:30 AM
continentaldrifter
Tourer
Default RE: Tried every brake bleeding method.....now what!

C'mon....somebody throw me a friggin' bone here!!

Old 03-14-2008, 01:08 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Had a problem bleeding the front breaks on my 96 Sportster Sport until I figured out the break lever wasn't retracting all the way. Had to manuallypush the lever away from the grip before each pump in the bleeding process. All of the other bleeding methods you tried should have overcome this. Have you checked with PM?

Old 03-14-2008, 01:16 AM
DZLDR
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ever try reverse bleeding them?
check out this link and see if it helps you.
Reverse Bleeder

Old 03-14-2008, 01:31 AM
grimminator
Intermediate

Ive got your answer! I did the same thing on my 06 streetglide, I had bleed the brakes so many times, I went thru 1 1/2 QUARTS of fluid not pints! That was every way possible vac. gravity etc. I called PM and told them of my problem and they knew about it. They said that they got there o-rings from another manufacturer and even though they ordered the same size as usual they were slightly larger making it impossible to pump up. Luckily I live fairly close and they replaced the o-rings and they work great! If you think it might be the master,take off the cover ,SLOWLY squeeze the brake lever and if it is good you should see the fluid shooting up. Dont squeeze to fast or you will have brake fluid spilling!

Old 03-14-2008, 01:50 AM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isolate the problem....divide it in half.......disconnect the hose from caliper and cap it off....then attempt to build pressure....it you get tight lever, then it's the caipers.

If you think you got air in calipers, then try butterfly impact wrench set on lowest setting to vibe air out of chambers...place impact on caliper mount bolt and do gravity bleed while you vibrate it.

Good luck

Old 03-14-2008, 03:56 AM
Big Peter
Road Captain

I have had the same problem.
After installing a rebuild kit in master cylinder
the bleeding problem was solved.
I guess o-ring was warped and letting
air into the brake system [:@]

Good luck.

Peter

Old 03-14-2008, 06:28 AM
continentaldrifter
Tourer

OK.i'll try these tonite after work and hopefully .

Old 03-14-2008, 07:37 AM
bigdoghd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to say the same thing, after trying that many things and no brakes I would have to say your loosing pressure. Bad o-ring somewhere. I tell my guys when you get that deep step back and take a break and take another look at the problem. Often times it's a defective new part that you just wouldn't think would be the cause. With no air bubbles and that many times bleeding it your have to look at the part you just put on.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:41 AM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

i hate to say it since we all like to wrench our own bikes but, i dicked around with it for a couple hours and then the light went off in my head...decided to bring it to my local indy shop...$30/30min, done!

Quick Reply: Tried every brake bleeding method.....now what!