Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Brighter Passing Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 10:39 PM
DiegoKing
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Brighter Passing Lights

Hey All,

I just replaced my main headlight bulb with an Ultra White/Blue bulb and WOW what a difference! Now I need to upgrade my small passing lights but when I took them out to see what bulbs they take I discovered they are sealed beams. Any ideas on a brighter upgrade for these?

Old 03-13-2008, 10:45 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Need Brighter Passing Lights

ORIGINAL: DiegoKing

Hey All,

I just replaced my main headlight bulb with an Ultra White/Blue bulb and WOW what a difference! Now I need to upgrade my small passing lights but when I took them out to see what bulbs they take I discovered they are sealed beams. Any ideas on a brighter upgrade for these?
What did you put in?

Old 03-13-2008, 10:51 PM
CoyoteJoe
Banned

I think these are the ones I got for my Bike (07 Fatboy)- they are definately brighter than the ones on my brothers 2004 fatboy, his look like the old style sealed beams, with the refractors in the lense, mine are smooth lenses and fluted reflectors in the back. I'm pretty sure these are the ones I got, they are halogen so I think they are brighter than the incandesant ones. I got the matching style for my headlamp, and my headlamp is also brighter thanmy brothers 04. I know $68 isn't exactly cheap, but with it being a sealed assembly I don't think there are many choices. Cheeck with your local dealer...

I think I got 68348-05 and its the same price, so I think its probably halogen - Looking in the book just now..

Halogen Passing Lamp Upgrade-Clear Lens with Halogen Bulb

Your Price:
$67.95

Item Number:
68208-98A

Stock Status:
in stock

Model Family:
Softail

[/URL]Enjoy brighter balanced light which complements your Halogen Headlight. Distinctive reflective inner domes add new character to your front end. Kit includes two bulbs.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:53 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I upgraded to H-3 bulb passing lamps and it was a big improvement then I changed the h-3 in those to PIAA super white 55 watt bulbs and that was a even larger improvement than the switch from sealed beam. There are sets available from Harley of course and several aftermarket suppliers also just check J&P cycles or something. Probably available at NAPA or other automotive supply houses too.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:42 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Get some clear, unfluted lensed bulbs. You will get more light on the road and less in the ditches. The 4416 bulb is 30 watts the same as the stockers, but puts out a more instense beam. You can also get them in 100 watters. I tried those, but found that I blinded everyone on the road. At any rate, the bulbs are easy to find at places like NAPA and Tractor supply. They are about 10 bucks each.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17633/448ECAAD269845CE9B3ED64A09F90E1A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-14-2008, 02:56 AM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep to all the above PLUS:

Make certain that they are aimed properly(not like described in service manual, but aimed the way you need them)

I made myself this socket and saved 44 bucks:

I simply hacked it out with a 4" grinder and it works perfectly.

Get the bike out at night on level ground.....drape a thick towel on all light except the one you want to adjust/aim.....place it where you need it then tighten it and do the other....then cover those and do headlight while you are at it.

The next thing you do is buy the HD clear crash bar lights and use the towel trick to aim them also.........

I did the above and I swear it looks like daylight now.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:36 AM
White Knight 04
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to a local big truck truck and off road equipment place and bought 4 1/2 off road 50 Watt flood lights and O boy what a diff. think it cost me arounf $15 a piece but its alot brighter out now....

Jer

Old 03-14-2008, 04:29 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Question - Regarding both passing and headlight, any fuse or wiring issues when going up to the higher wattage?

Old 03-14-2008, 04:55 PM
kurtlange
Tourer

ORIGINAL: DiegoKing

Now I need to upgrade my small passing lights but........ discovered they are sealed beams. Any ideas on a brighter upgrade for these?
look here-- http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/page/001/PROD/HalPAR36/50PAR36H-WFL

Old 03-14-2008, 05:35 PM
White Knight 04
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3 years now and I have had no issues......

Quick Reply: Need Brighter Passing Lights