Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Pioneer Head Unit w/ Biketronics Kit (pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:03 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installed Pioneer Head Unit w/ Biketronics Kit (pictures)

Well as many of you know, I have installed a full blown professional level stereo into my FLHX. The amp and subs are all complete in the bags as are all of the quick disconnects and cabling. All I was waiting for was the Biketronics mounting kit to adapt the din style head unit into the existing mounting cage in the fairing, and the retro radio converter to integrate the handlebar controls.

Well it came in yesterday and I got back on it. Here's what I completed last night. Now all I have to do is tin a few lead wires and charge the capacitor and it's ready to run. Can't wait to hear it running 600 pure watts of sound. I'll have it powered up and blairing tonight and will make a video later. Here are a few pics of the install for those who were waiting to see what I was going to do for the head unit.

Soldering the Retro Radio Converter to the head unit. Deck has faceplate adapter and mounting blocks attached as shown.

Dropping the head unit into place. These guys at Biketronics make a great mounting kit and were awesome to deal with.

The Pioneer Head Unit powered up and connections tested. I really am getting close to powering up the amp and running it.

Mounting the front crossovers above the deack, and wiring the front component speakers and tweeters. Yeehaw it fits.

Me giving the all ok as the head unit is complete and all of the head end wiring is terminated including RCA connections.

While I was in there, I plugged in the USB cable for the iPod and found a place to run the wire through so I can mount the iPod in a windshield bag. I also installed a wireless antenna which was also a snap. On 12v wire to connect and it's fastened with double sided tape and was positioned right beside the lighter. The antenna is a small 4" block that sticks to the plastic on the fairing. Installing the biketronics kit was awesome. I applied the prefabbed faceplate, laid the protective waterproof plastic over the top of the head unit, installed the side mounting blocks and soldered the power, ignition and ground wires and away it went. Dropped it into place, plugged it into the Harley harness and powered it up. All speakers are fed from the rear amp for this particular systemso the fronts were connected to the crossovers and that now makes a wrap for this end of the project.

I'll power the amps up tonight and make a video. Later

Old 03-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Motown_HOG
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Installed Pioneer Head Unit w/ Biketronics Kit (pictures)

Man that looks awesome. Great job. I can't wait to see the video. Wish I had the skill to do something like that with my glide!

Old 03-13-2008, 03:11 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hate to sound repetitive...... but, that's awesome!

One day, I've gotta see that bike...

Old 03-13-2008, 03:15 PM
jr_c6
Road Captain

Great job!

Old 03-13-2008, 03:40 PM
eglidetrike1
Road Master

How are you gonna hear your bike running with that stereo?[sm=confused06.gif]

Old 03-13-2008, 04:08 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: eglidetrike1

How are you gonna hear your bike running with that stereo?[sm=confused06.gif]
Easy...BoarzillaPipe @ 60% Throttle [sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 03-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Skip
Road Captain

GlideMan - great writeup and pics. I Have been wanting to do something similar to my 2001 EG but did not want to use a Sony radio. Did you need to make changes to the wiring to get the hand controls to work with a Pioneer? Would be great if you would provide a list of the components that you used.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:33 PM
axe11
Cruiser

Just freaking awesome, GlideMan. Could you please list the componentsand where you bought them? 600 watts you say? Damn... and I'm wondering what speakers you got to handle that power. I want that setup in four channel forUltra application. By the way, does it pretty much take up all storage room in a saddle bag? I can't wait to see your video. Congratulations on your entire setup, dude.

Thanks for your contributions,

axe11

Old 03-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Terminator69
Road Master

Thats awesome, great write up and pics , cant wait to see the video, I aswell am interested in seeing the amp/ sub configuration in those bags, Keep us posted! T

Old 03-13-2008, 05:03 PM
Sodiee
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

600 watts!WOW!I thought that my Hawg Wired system kiss a** at 150 watts.You did a great job of mounting the whole system where it looks very professional and not cheap.Can't wait to see the video.I hope it dosen't blow my computer speakers!

Quick Reply: Installed Pioneer Head Unit w/ Biketronics Kit (pictures)