Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rolling Thunder XXI - who's going?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 08:24 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Rolling Thunder XXI - who's going?

I usually park near the Lincoln memorial and watch the show....quite impressive.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:51 PM
jpmflying
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BM1000, coming our way for RT? Sounds great. New Ride?

Old 03-13-2008, 08:57 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would love to but the boy graduates high school this year during the time I would have to be gone. I am already lining a couple of buddys up to go next year.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:24 PM
fatboylust
Road Captain

I too am going (first time). We will camped at an RV park north of the beltway (Cherry Hill) in MD. Don't know yet were and how I'll get where I need to be. I'll watch this tread for more helpful suggestions.

Thanks,
FBL

Old 03-13-2008, 10:00 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jpmflying

BM1000, coming our way for RT? Sounds great. New Ride?
Howdy JPMFLYING!!!!

Yes!!! We planned a vacation around then in order to have the time off. I normally work that weekend every year. The wife, being a big "Biker Chick" now, heard about the event through a friend and she said we have to attend this year!!!! I never took time off before as it did not seem fair to leave her home.

We are riding down toVirginia on Thursday of that weekend. We are staying atthe: Comfort InnTysons Corner,
1587 Spring Hill Road
Vienna, Virginia, 22182

Our local H.O.G. Chapter reserved a block of rooms at a discount,do not know if any of them willleave forVirginia as early as us though,

The Road Glide is a used 2004 that I bought at afantastic price at a Harley Dealership. It pays to buy in the middle of the winter!!!!! Withall theadd ons that it came with itI could not beat the deal compared to a new Road Glide. I am having the dealership build the motor to 95 C.I., with gear drive for the cams and Branch cams. Branch re-worked heads, Feuling oil pump and billet cam plate round out the build. Final extra for the wife is a "Road Zeppelin Air Ride Leather Seat". All this for a lot less than a 2008 with accessories andbetter cams.

The ride youoffered the wife on your Ultra did the trick as far as acquiring a touring bike. No comparison to my little FXD in comfort. You know that I had been trying to get the wife to sit on a touring model to see the comfort, butshe would not, until you coaxed her.

The bike is a surprise for her. As soon asthe build is completed I am going to pick it up and surprise her with it. She thinks we are doing the "Rolling Thunder" ride on the Super Glide!!!! I am keeping the Super Glide, as it is part of the family now, besides the wife said we had to keep it!!!!

We will have toarrange a get together while in Virginia, or DC.We are both really looking forward to seeing you two again!!!!Since you are more familiar with that area, any suggestions are welcome.

&nb

Old 03-13-2008, 10:09 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

I live in Virginia, and will head down Route 66 with about 3500 othersfrom Patriot Harley in Fairfax ... very cool. The pentagon is a fun hang-out if it's your first time, but be prepared once you arrive as the wait is LOOOOOOOOOONG!! Last year my budsand I split off and went straight down town. Chilled out on the mall and watched the parade. Likely will do the same again this year. Hope to see you at Patriot !!

Old 03-14-2008, 12:32 AM
Blue06classic
Advanced

I will be there with the wife. We are both part of Rolling Thunder itself. As a note...it is NOT a parade...it is a demonstration/protest ride...We are there to remind the gov't that we don't leave people behind. Too many of our soldiers have been left behind after wars...even 1 left behind is 1 too many....the gov't knew we left a lot of POW's behind after Vietnam...and that is how this event got started...

I won't get on my soapbox....if you'd like to know more about the history of Rolling Thunder...

www.rollingthunder1.com

Darryn

Old 03-14-2008, 12:35 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Y'all have no idea how much your tips are helping. Thanks. This is going to be a very important trip for me.

EDIT to add (we were both posting at the same time Darryn)

ORIGINAL: Blue06classic

I will be there with the wife. We are both part of Rolling Thunder itself. As a note...it is NOT a parade...it is a demonstration/protest ride...We are there to remind the gov't that we don't leave people behind. Too many of our soldiers have been left behind after wars...even 1 left behind is 1 too many....the gov't knew we left a lot of POW's behind after Vietnam...and that is how this event got started...

I won't get on my soapbox....if you'd like to know more about the history of Rolling Thunder...

www.rollingthunder1.com

Darryn
Big +1.... 'nuff said.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:14 AM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan to be there again.
Lots of memories
but one that stands out right now
is the Marine in the middle of the Road at Hand Salute
he doesn't waver or flinch while all the bikes ride by.

God Bless Our Warriors and Their Familes

All Gave Some
Some Gave All

chappy

Old 03-14-2008, 01:23 AM
Blue06classic
Advanced

Chappy,

Have met that Marine...he actually came across the country ina bread truck a couple of years ago. My chapter (NC4) of Rolling Thunder "adopted" a soldier killed during the current Iraq/Afghanistan war...his Mother thought it would be neat for Brad to be able to ride on a bike...so we had a small shadow box made that held at small 4"x6" American flag on one side and his Dog Tags on the other....they came across country from Cali to DC via a chapter in California and that Marine (his name escapes my mind right now) came across with the chapter...

He takes leave and makes sure that he is in DC for the event...he even stopped a would be robber at the Crystal City Hyatt (Rolling Thunder HQ)...seems a guy took the bill-fold from one of the servers at the hotel bar...and tried to hide it...he caught the guy...and eventually the bill-fold was found...with $1000 cash inside...she hadn't cashed out for the night...

Darryn

Quick Reply: Rolling Thunder XXI - who's going?